Tottenham - West Ham Preview: Spurs look to make progress up Premier League table
With both teams flying high in the league with just two points separating them, the London derby at White Hart Lane promises to be a tense affair between two confident teams
By Chris Teale
Walker, Caulker, Dawson, Vertonghen
Lennon, Dempsey, Bale
O’Brien, Reid, Tomkins, McCartney
Noble, Nolan, O’Neil, Maiga
After his red card against Arsenal, Emmanuel Adebayor begins his three-match suspension and will probably be replaced up front by Jermain Defoe.
Following a superb man-of-the-match display against Lazio in the Europa League, goalkeeper Hugo Lloris should keep his place in goal ahead of Brad Friedel.
Mousa Dembele made his return from injury during the Europa League tie so could well feature from the off, while Scott Parker returned to light training earlier in the week. Otherwise, Spurs have no new injury concerns, so should have a strong squad to choose from.
Hammers midfielder Yossi Benayoun (knee) remains a doubt for this game, but he could be fit enough to make the bench.
After impressing on the left against Stoke, Modibo Maiga will be hopeful of keeping his place, as will Gary O’Neil.
Otherwise, West Ham have no new concerns, with Matt Jarvis (hip) also nearing a return to first-team action.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Tottenham have not lost three home games in a row in the Premier League since September 2008 under Juande Ramos.
- Spurs have scored first in eight games this season, second only to West Brom's record of nine.
- Hammers academy graduate Jermain Defoe has scored in four of his last seven games against his former club.
- Spurs have won seven and lost just one of their last 10 Premier League matches against West Ham.
- Hammers goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen (pictured) has made a save approximately every 20 minutes, the fastest rate of any goalkeeper in the Premier League this season.
- West Ham have failed to score in five of their last seven Premier League games against Spurs.
Tottenham are 15/8 with Bet365 to be the only team to score in this game.
- Hammers youngster Ravel Morrison, currently on loan at Birmingham City, has admitted that he is considering playing international football for Jamaica, having represented England at every youth level.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 2-0 West Ham
- 18.27 %
Tottenham 3-1 West Ham
- 14.05 %
Tottenham 2-1 West Ham
- 11.4 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 6, 2013||Tottenham 0 - West Ham 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 25, 2013||West Ham 2 - Tottenham 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 25, 2012||Tottenham 3 - West Ham 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 19, 2011||Tottenham 0 - West Ham 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 25, 2010||West Ham 1 - Tottenham 0|
|Dec 7, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Fulham 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Man Utd. 2||EPL|
|Nov 28, 2013||Tromsø IL 0 - Tottenham 2||EL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Manchester City FC 6 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|-||Moussa Sidi Yaya Dembélé||Midfielder|
Since arriving from Fulham in the summer, Mousa Dembele has made a crucial difference in the centre of the Spurs midfield and will need to do similar work against the Hammers. His absence with injury has been noticeable, but with his sharpness beginning to return the Belgian will hope to pick up where he left off.
For the Hammers, Mark Noble has been in impressive form this season and will need to be close to his best to overcome his counterparts in the home side. Noble has made one of the highest number of tackles in the Premier League this season and has another key role to play as he looks to play well defensively while feeding the ball forward to his team-mates.
West Ham are flying high in the Premier League and could cause a few problems for Tottenham’s defence. However, the home side’s attacking players should be more than enough for the Hammers, especially if Gareth Bale hits form on the left.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed