Chelsea - Liverpool Preview: Blues aim to get back to winning ways after losing ground in title race
Di Matteo's men will be hopeful of sealing three points against the Reds in Sunday's Premier League clash, after recently surrendering top spot to Manchester United
By Husmukh Kerai
Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Cole
Oscar, Mata, Hazard
Wisdom, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique
Gerrard, Allen, Sahin,
Sterling, Suarez, Suso
Chelsea have both David Luiz and John Terry available for selection after serving their respective one-match and four-match bans.
Juan Mata (hamstring) is expected to shake off his injury in time for the match but Frank Lampard (calf) is again expected to miss out.
There is no new injury news as far as Liverpool are concerned. Lucas Leiva (thigh) is still closing in on a return to first-team action while Glen Johnson (muscle), Fabio Borini (foot) and Martin Kelly (knee) remain long-term absentees.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Fernando Torres (pictured) scored five goals in four Premier League games against Chelsea while playing for Liverpool, but has netted none in the three for the Blues against the Reds since his switch.
- Chelsea have now gone five games without a clean sheet in the Premier League, their worst such spell since January.
- Roberto Di Matteo's side have also conceded the opening goal in their last two games at Stamford Bridge.
- Kenny Dalglish was player-manager for Liverpool when he scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory at Stamford Bridge on the final day of the 1985-86 season to win the league title.
- Liverpool have won four Premier League games against Chelsea in a row.
- The Reds are the only side yet to score a goal in the closing 15 minutes of a league game this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 3-1 Liverpool
- 21.78 %
Chelsea FC 1-2 Liverpool
- 13.72 %
Chelsea FC 2-1 Liverpool
- 11.25 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 21, 2013||Liverpool 2 - Chelsea FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 11, 2012||Chelsea FC 1 - Liverpool 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 8, 2012||Liverpool 4 - Chelsea FC 1|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||May 5, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Chelsea FC 2|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Nov 29, 2011||Chelsea FC 0 - Liverpool 2|
|Dec 4, 2013||Sunderland 3 - Chelsea FC 4||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Chelsea FC 3 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Nov 26, 2013||Basel 1 - Chelsea FC 0||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||West Ham 0 - Chelsea FC 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - West Bromwich Albion 2||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
After beginning the season in blistering form, the Belgian's performances have dipped in recent weeks. Sunday's clash between two attack-minded sides will be the perfect opportunity for Hazard to showcase his talents up against an inexperienced right-back in Andre Wisdom.
Liverpool will pin their hopes firmly on the Uruguayan striker to provide the goals at Stamford Bridge. Suarez has carried the goalscoring burden for the Reds in most games this season and Sunday's game against the west London side will be no different.
Both sides have exciting young attacking talent in their ranks but both have also looked vulnerable at the back, so expect plenty of goals at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea have more options both defensively and going forward and that should give them the edge in a open game against the Reds.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed