Tottenham - Chelsea Preview: Villas-Boas set for reunion with former club as hosts bid to continue hot streak
Roberto Di Matteo's side have started the season in superb form and go into the game sitting top of the league, but they now face a stern examination of their title credentials
By James McManus
Walker, Caulker, Gallas, Vertonghen
Lennon, Dempsey, Bale
Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Cole
Mata, Oscar, Hazard
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas comes up against Chelsea for the first time as a manager since being sacked after an unsuccessul spell at the helm last year and he could welcome the return of both Kyle Naughton and Jake Livermore from their foot and groin injuries in time for the fixture.
The trip looks as if it will come too early for Benoit Assou-Ekotto, though and he should miss out with a knee injury, while Younes Kaboul and Scott Parker remain long-term absentees.
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo will be without captain John Terry for the game after he accepted his four-game ban for racially abusing Antono Ferdinand, but Daniel Sturridge could return from a hamstring injury.
Elsewhere, Frank Lampard and Ryan Bertrand remain doubtful having both missed England duty with a virus and calf complaint.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Tottenham are currently on a nine-game unbeaten run, having not tasted defeat since the opening day of the season away at Newcastle.
- The side have won their last four league games on the bounce.
- Their start of 14 points from their opening seven league games has only been bettered once, back in 2009-10 when they took 15 points from the same number of games.
- White Hart Lane is becoming something of a fortress for Spurs of late, having won 15 of their last 21 home matches, losing just twice.
- Andre Villas-Boas (pictured right) emerged victorious in exactly half of his 40 matches in charge of Chelsea.
- Chelsea have not won at White Hart Lane in their last six visits.
- Should they lose to Tottenham, they will be left with the same record that Villas-Boas had from his first eight league games in charge.
- So far this season, they have yet to concede a goal in the second half of any match, the only side in the top flight to do so.
- The Blues have kept four clean sheets already this term, whereas last season in total they managed just 10
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 1-3 Chelsea FC
- 20.57 %
Tottenham 1-2 Chelsea FC
- 14.13 %
Tottenham 2-1 Chelsea FC
- 10.37 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 8, 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - Tottenham 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 20, 2012||Tottenham 2 - Chelsea FC 4|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Apr 15, 2012||Tottenham 1 - Chelsea FC 5|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 24, 2012||Chelsea FC 0 - Tottenham 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 22, 2011||Tottenham 1 - Chelsea FC 1|
|May 24, 2013||Jamaica 0 - Tottenham 0||FR|
|May 19, 2013||Tottenham 1 - Sunderland 0||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Stoke 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|May 8, 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Tottenham 1 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed