thumbnail Hello,

Coupe de France

  • April 28, 2012
  • • 19:45
  • • Stade de France, Paris
  • Referee: H. Piccirillo
  • • Attendance: 76229

Olympique Lyonnais 1-0 US Quevilly: Lisandro downs spirited minnows and earns fifth Coupe de France title for Garde's men

Olympique Lyonnais 1-0 US Quevilly: Lisandro downs spirited minnows and earns fifth Coupe de France title for Garde's men


Lyon have won the 2012 Coupe de France, beating Regis Brouard's third-tier side 1-0 at the Stade de France courtesy of Lisandro's first-half strike.

Olympique Lyonnais have lifted their first trophy since 2008 as they beat Quevilly 1-0 in the Coupe de France final at the Stade de France.

Lisandro Lopez broke the deadlock after 28 minutes with a fine finish from Alexandre Lacazette's cross. The Argentine had moments before hit the post with an effort, though recovered to net his seventh goal in the competition.

Quevilly were a match for their superior opponents, and saw a chance came back off the crossbar through Anthony Laup. The early goal had proved enough though, as the minnows were unable to complete the biggest of cup shocks.

Remi Garde made a few changes for the showpiece final, with the inclusion of midfielder Yoann Gourcuff - making his first start since the quarter-final victory over Bordeaux three months ago - the main talking point in place of the injured Michel Bastos.

The minnows, meanwhile, featuring in their ninth cup tie of the campaign, only made the one change from the giant-killing side that dumped 10-time winners Marseille and Rennes in the previous rounds, bringing in goalkeeper Yassine El-Kharroubi in for Issa Coulibaly.

And it would be Regis Brouard's unfancied side that would enjoy much of the early possession in the French capital, forcing Hugo Lloris into a number of early stops. A free-kick from Matthias Jouan evaded a suspect defence, though Joris Colinet could not connect with a decisive touch on the ball.

Lyon, who failed to muster even a shot on target in the Coupe de la Ligue final two weeks ago, improved and were unlucky not to be ahead. A speculative delivery from the left was controlled superbly by Lisandro whose swivel and turn bamboozled his marker, yet his powerful shot only came back off the post.

Remi Garde's side were dealt a blow when Dejan Lovren was stretched off in the first half with what looked like a serious injury, but again they would be denied by plucky defending from Quevilly.

Alexandre Lacazette's galloping run saw him beat the goalkeeper, but his tame strike was heroically cleared off the line by Frederic Weis as the amateur side breathed another sigh of relief.

Quevilly's luck would run out eventually, and it did in poor circumstances from the minnows' view. A fine build-up from Gomis saw him locate Lacazette who evaded the goalkeeper's clutches with another mazy run, and his cross towards Lisandro was met with a sumptuous volley into the bottom corner of the net.

Lyon started the second half much like they ended the first - in total control. Les Gones were again denied by the woodwork, this time Lacazette's shot coming off a defender, cannoning off the crossbar though failing to cross the line before Lisandro's follow-up was thwarted by Alexandre Vardin.

Quevilly, who were last in the final in 1927, showed flashes of the brilliance that reflected their shock cup run. In the 65th minute, their best chance would come and go in an instant. A fine ball in towards Anthony Laup - scorer of the winning goal in the semi-final - saw the midfielder's effort frustratingly tipped over onto the bar by Lloris.

Les Gones were profligate up front, and could've added to their tally numerous times, most notably from Bafetimbi Gomis' skewed effort wide. A threatening low cross from Aly Cissokho picked out the French international, though his chance flew horribly wide of El-Kharroubi's goal.

Substitute Jimmy Briand had an opportunity to settle the tie with five minutes to go, spurning a one-on-one opportunity with El-Kharroubi. It did not effect the end result however, as Lyon held on to lift their fifth Coupe de France title.