Manchester City - Sporting Lisbon Preview: Roberto Mancini will look to maintain clean sheet record at home to ensure progression
Before the first leg, the Citizens were flying high at the top of the Premier League but since the defeat in Portugal their hopes of domestic or European success have been harmed
By Edward Tibbles
Richards, Kolo Toure, Savic, Clichy
Nasri, De Jong, Milner
Johnson, Balotelli, Silva
Pereira, Polga, Xandao, Insua
Fernandez, Carrico, Izmailov, Suarez
Manchester City will again have to deal with depleted options in the centre of their defence with both Vincent Kompany (calf) and Joleon Lescott (groin) both sidelined for the second leg of this tie.
The home side are also without Pablo Zabaleta who has picked up a thigh strain and Gareth Barry, who must contend with a back injury.
Ricardo Sa Pinto is likely to stick to the same victorious starting line-up from last week, although a classy performance from Jeffren Suarez this weekend could give him a good chance of making the starting XI.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City have kept clean sheets in their last four home games in all competitions, scoring 12 goals in the process. City are 3/1 with Paddy Power to be drawing at half-time and ahead at full-time in this match.
- Ricardo Sa Pinto has only failed to win once since taking charge of Sporting Lisbon in February.
- Manchester City have not lost three games in a row yet this season, only having lost two in a row once after losses in the FA Cup and League Cup against Manchester United and Liverpool respectively.
- More yellow cards in the Portuguese top flight this season have been given out for fouls on Sporting's Diego Capel (pictured) than on any other player.
- Capel has also drawn 22 fouls in the Europa League - only four more players have received more.
- Sporting's game against Legia Warszaw saw the joint-most yellow cards in a single match of this year's competition, with 11.
Want to be at the Euro 2012 opener? Who doesn't? With Sharp FanLabs you can win free tickets to the opening event of 2012's biggest tournament. Click here to take part!
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City FC 3-0 Sporting Lisbon
- 24.24 %
Manchester City FC 2-0 Sporting Lisbon
- 15.06 %
Manchester City FC 3-1 Sporting Lisbon
- 10.7 %
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Mar 15, 2012||Manchester City FC 3 - Sporting Lisbon 2|
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Mar 8, 2012||Sporting Lisbon 1 - Manchester City FC 0|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||Jul 23, 2010||Sporting Lisbon 2 - Manchester City FC 0|
|Manchester City FC|
|Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City FC 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Manchester City FC 3||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Manchester City FC 3 - Swansea 0||EPL|
|Nov 27, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - FC Viktoria Plzeň 2||UCL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Manchester City FC 6 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|-||Joan Ángel Román||Midfielder|
|-||Marat Nailevich Izmailov||Striker|
|9||Ricky van Wolfswinkel||Striker|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed