Liverpool - Manchester City Preview: Roberto Mancini’s side eye first Anfield victory in nine years in second leg of League Cup semi-final
The visitors must overturn a one goal deficit from the first leg if they are to reach Wembley, with Steven Gerrard's penalty at the Etihad Stadium handing the Reds the advantage
By Oliver Platt
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique
Gerrard, Adam, Henderson
Rodriguez, Carroll, Bellamy
Richards, Savic, Lescott, Clichy
Silva, Aguero, Nasri
City have until 6pm on Wednesday evening to appeal the FA charge against Mario Balotelli for violent conduct, however, the league-leaders are expected to accept the four-game ban meaning the Italian will not be available for the trip to Anfield.
Edin Dzeko is therefore likely to start up top, backed up by an impressive attacking line of Samir Nasri, David Silva and Sergio Aguero. Stefan Savic is set to continue alongside Joleon Lescott in defence, with captain Vincent Kompany sitting out the final game of his ban.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool’s home form bodes well for them going into the second leg. Although they have drawn seven out of their 11 home matches in the Premier League, they are yet to lose at Anfield.
- The Reds have not suffered defeat at Anfield against City in nine matches in all competitions, their last defeat coming back in 2003 when former Liverpool strikers Robbie Fowler and Nicolas Anelka led the line for the visitors.
- Liverpool are the most successful side in League Cup history, having won the trophy seven times. Their most recent victory came in 2003.
- They have not won a trophy, however, since 2006, when they lifted the Community Shield following a 2-1 victory over Chelsea.
- Kenny Dalglish’s team have slipped up since securing a 1-0 victory in the first leg. A draw with Stoke preceded their 3-1 loss to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday.
- Manchester City have not been flawless in recent weeks either. Since Christmas, they have won only three of their seven matches in all competitions.
- Prior to winning the 2011 FA Cup, the League Cup was the last trophy City had lifted. They won the tournament in 1970, were runners-up in 1974 and emerged victorious again in 1976. They have not been to the final since.
- Before beating Wigan Athletic 1-0 in the Premier League, City had not won in four matches in a row away from the Etihad Stadium.
- Roberto Mancini’s team have not played out a score draw in nine league matches.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City FC
- 18.05 %
Liverpool 2-0 Manchester City FC
- 9.73 %
Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City FC
- 9.37 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 13, 2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 26, 2013||Manchester City FC 2 - Liverpool 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 3, 2013||Manchester City FC 2 - Liverpool 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 26, 2012||Liverpool 2 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Jan 25, 2012||Liverpool 2 - Manchester City FC 2|
|Apr 20, 2014||Norwich City 2 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City FC 2||EPL|
|Apr 6, 2014||West Ham 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|Mar 30, 2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 26, 2014||Liverpool 2 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
Stefan Savic has looked unsure at times as he continues to fill in for Kolo Toure and Vincent Kompany, and the Montenegrin defender will have to stay alert in order to combat the boundless energy of Bellamy.
The speed of Tottenham’s Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale and Jermain Defoe got the better of the City defence at times on Sunday and Bellamy will provide a similar threat.
The midfielder has done a sound job so far in the absence of Yaya Toure, but his work will be cut out at Anfield. Facing the player he will be hoping to succeed in the England midfield in Steven Gerrard, Milner will have to seize the initiative in the centre of the park if City are to overturn their opponent’s one-goal advantage.
If Milner can impress against one of the best teams in the Premier League, Fabio Capello may be tempted to pair him with Gareth Barry at this summer’s European Championship.