Argentina Apertura Preview: Racing - Independiente
The Superclasico de Avellaneda paralyses the southern Buenos Aires city this weekend as La Academia host their fierce local rivals at El Coliseo
By Tom Webber
Pillud, Martinez, Cahais, Licht
Aued, Pelletieri, Yacob, Hauche
Tuzzio, J. Velazquez, Milito, M. Velazquez
Pellerano, Godoy, Ferreyra
Racing are looking to build upon their title challenge and will start with the 2011 Clausura top scorer Teofilo Gutierrez leading the line ahead of compatriot Giovanni Moreno. The only departure from the club's 0-0 draw in their previous match is injured Patricio Toranzo, replaced by Gabriel Hauche. Diego Simeone's side remain unbeaten in the Apertura and will hope to maintain such form against their local rivals.
Independiente are coming into the Clasico de Avellaneda on the back of a poor run of form. They can only claim one victory from their four previous league games. Antonio Mohamed makes two changes from the side that lost to Velez in their previous league outing. Fabian Assmann replaces Hilario Navarro between the sticks and Patricio Rodriguez is preferred to Leonel Nunez.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Avellaneda is one of few cities that can boast two different world champions.
- Racing remain unbeaten in this year's Apertura with 4 wins and 5 draws.
- Giovanni Moreno will make his first appearance in the clasico. He has missed the previous two, once through injury and the other through international duty.
- La Academia won the last time the two sides met in April. A 2-0 victory was achieved with goals from Hauche and Gutierrez on the score sheet.
- Independiente manager Ramon Diaz has a fantastic record in derby matches. As manager of River and San Lorenzo he was only beaten twice in 18 matches.
- Independiente have earned 68 wins compared to Racing's 51 across the 182 times the clubs have met.
- Gabriel Milito will be taking part in his first Clasico since his return from European champions Barcelona.
- A strip of land just 300 metres long separates the stadiums of these two fierce rivals.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Racing 2-0 Indep'te
- 40 %
Racing 0-2 Indep'te
- 20 %
Racing 3-1 Indep'te
- 20 %
|Argentina - Primera Division (AR1A)||Feb 24, 2013||Indep'te 2 - Racing 0|
|Argentina - Primera Division (AR1A)||Aug 19, 2012||Racing 2 - Indep'te 0|
|Argentina - Primera Division (AR1A)||Apr 14, 2012||Indep'te 4 - Racing 1|
|Argentina - Torneo de Verano (ARV)||Jan 29, 2012||Indep'te 0 - Racing 1|
|Argentina - Primera Division (AR1A)||Oct 2, 2011||Racing 1 - Indep'te 1|
|Dec 6, 2013||Racing 2 - Godoy Cruz 0||AR1A|
|Nov 29, 2013||Rosario Central 1 - Racing 1||AR1A|
|Nov 25, 2013||Racing 1 - River Plate 0||AR1A|
|Nov 16, 2013||Quilmes 1 - Racing 1||AR1A|
|Nov 10, 2013||Racing 0 - Argentinos Juniors 1||AR1A|
|4||Marcos Antonio Cáceres||Defender|
|25||Lucas Matías Licht||Defender|
|-||Matías Alfredo Martínez||Defender|
|5||Agustín Daniel Pelletieri||Midfielder|
|-||Jorge Alberto De Olivera||Goalkeeper|
|11||Osmar Daniel Ferreyra||Midfielder|
|-||Fernando Gabriel Godoy||Midfielder|
|-||Brian Emanuel Nieva||Striker|
|-||Leonel Ezequiel Galeano||Defender|
|-||Carlos Javier Matheu||Defender|
|-||Walter Alejandro Busse||Midfielder|
|11||Nicolás Alejandro Cabrera||Midfielder|
|11||Leonel Jorge Núñez||Striker|