International Friendly Preview: Argentina - Brazil
The two squads of domestically based players meet in Cordoba for the first of two Superclasico friendly matches
|Argentina (3-5-2): Orion; Dominguez, Desabato, Cellay; Pillud, Fernandez, Zapata, Canteros, Papa; Boselli, Martinez
This Argentina squad is heavily based on two clubs, Estudiantes (LP) and Velez Sarsfield, as they have been the most successful in Argentina in recent years.
The squad cannot boast a star indivdual unlike their counterparts. Mauro Boselli is a name many English Premier League fans will know, and not for the right reasons. The Wigan player is currently on loan at Estudiantes after a torrid time in England. Whilst Juan Manuel Martinez and Augusto Fernandez of Velez will provide a deal of attacking prowess and were key components of their club's run to the semi-finals of this year's Copa Libertadores.
Pablo Mouche has failed to live up to expectations after some impressive performances in the Argentina youth set-up. He will look to make an impact if he is given the time.
|Brazil (4-2-3-1): Jefferson; Mario Fernandes, Rhodolfo, Dede, Danilo; Casemiro, Ralf; Lucas Moura, Ronaldinho, Neymar; Leandro Damiao
Despite the squad being comprised solely of domestically based players, Mano Menezes can line up with a very similar forward line to that which faced Ghana last week. The injury to Ganso means that Lucas Moura may get a chance, with Ronaldinho taking the role of playmaker.
Cruzeiro goalkeeper Fabio has been withdrawn through injury and Victor of Gremio has been called up as a replacement. Therefore Botafogo's Jefferson has a chance to earn his first international cap for the Selecao.
Several players, such as Romulo, Oscar, and Danilo, will hope to impress over both games in an attempt to earn a place in the squad for the Olympic games in London next year.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Argentina came out on top the last time the two South American giants met. Lionel Messi's goal was the only one of the game in Doha last November.
- Of the 90 matches the two sides have played against each other at senior level, Argentina have won 34 to Brazil's 33 victories.
- The squad chosen to face Venezuela at the beginning of the month included only one domestically based player. That was Esteban Andrada, the third-choice goalkeeper.
- Argentina have lost just three games in their last 16 matches, including the penalty defeat to Uruguay at this year's Copa America.
- The last time Brazil faced the Albiceleste in Argentina they won 3-1. The game was a World Cup qualifier in 2009 and was held in Rosario.
- The Selecao could offer 13 players their international debuts over the the course of the two friendlies.
- Ronaldinho is likely to earn his 90th cap for the Canarinha as he looks to continue to impress and earn a place in the squad for the Olympics next year.
- The Brazilian squad that travelled to London to face Ghana last week included 10 players who play their club football in Brazil.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Argentina 0-2 Brazil
- 12.21 %
Argentina 1-3 Brazil
- 11.97 %
Argentina 1-2 Brazil
- 11.5 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||Nov 22, 2012||Argentina 2 - Brazil 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 20, 2012||Brazil 2 - Argentina 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Jun 9, 2012||Argentina 4 - Brazil 3|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 29, 2011||Brazil 2 - Argentina 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 15, 2011||Argentina 0 - Brazil 0|
|Mar 5, 2014||Romania 0 - Argentina 0||FR|
|Nov 19, 2013||Argentina 2 - Bosnia 0||FR|
|Nov 16, 2013||Ecuador 0 - Argentina 0||FR|
|Oct 16, 2013||Uruguay 3 - Argentina 2||WCQ|
|Oct 12, 2013||Argentina 3 - Peru 1||WCQ|
Despite operating mainly as a right winger, Fernandez also has a terrific left foot. He is capable of finding the back of the net fairly regularly and scored 4 on Velez's run to this year's Copa Libertadores semi final stage. He missed just two games in his sides 2011 Argentinian Clausura championship victory and contributed 4 goals. The former River Plate man has been a key part in the recent fortunes of Velez, and will hope to play an integral role against Brazil on his international debut.
The young striker has been in outstanding form this year, scoring 40 goals in 46 games for his club side Internacional. He is not your typical Brazilian forward, instead his height and power provide the national team with a very different option up front. He is a clinical finisher and will provide a great focal point for the Brazilian attack, which is something they have very much needed recently. He will look to build on his impressive display against Ghana, in which he scored his first international goal, and stake a claim for a regular spot in Mano Menezes' future squads.
The strength of Brazil's squad is far greater than that of their hosts. Argentina lack a star name in their squad and will find it difficult to break down their opponents. Ultimately, Brazil's quality will see them through, and they should take a lead into the second Superclasico in two weeks time.
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed