International Friendly Preview: Venezuela - Argentina
Alejandro Sabella will coach his first game as coach of the two-time World Cup winners as they battle their fellow South Americans in India
By Roger Gonzalez
|Venezuela (4-4-2): Romo/Hernandez; Vizcarrondo, Cichero, Rosales, Amorebieta; Rincon, Seijas, Gonzalez, Orozco; Fedor and J. Rondon
Cesar Farias will look to Salomon Rondon to bring his scoring touch in the battle against Argentina, while Nicolas Fedor looks set to join the Malaga man up top.
|Argentina (4-3-3) Romero; Zabaleta, Demichelis, Otamendi, Rojo; Gonzalez, Mascherano, Alvarez; Messi, Higuain and Di Maria
Alejandro Sabella will go with four in defence with Martin Demichelis making a return to the national side. The Malaga defender has not played for the senior team since last year's 1-0 victory over Ireland. Lionel Messi, as always, will be in the attack, joined by Real Madrid's attacking duo of Gonzalo Higuain and Angel Di Maria.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Venezuela finished ahead of Argentina in the 2011 Copa America. Farias' men closed out the tournament in fourth place, falling to Peru in the third place match. Their opposition for Friday were knocked out in the quarter-finals to Uruguay.
- Since the tournament, Venezuela have played two games, falling to Spain 3-0 before beating Guatemala 2-0.
- Farias became the first coach of Venezuela to guide the country to the semi-finals of a Copa America.
- Nine players on the team have never made an appearance in the senior side.
- Argentina will play their first game under the former Estudiantes coach, who takes over the reigns of the national team after the dismissal of Sergio Batista, who was fired after failing to lead the team to glory in the Copa America in July.
- Messi is now the captain of the squad, replacing Barcelona teammate Javier Mascherano.
- Goalkeeper Esteban Andrada is the only player in the team who does not play domestic football in Europe. The talented youngster plays for Lanus of the Argentine first division and may make his first appearance for his country at the senior level.
- Another player who may make his first appearance is the highly-rated Ricardo Alvarez, a lanky, creative midfielder who joined Inter from Velez Sarsfield this summer.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Venezuela 0-3 Argentina
- 18.53 %
Venezuela 1-3 Argentina
- 18.09 %
Venezuela 0-2 Argentina
- 14.85 %
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Mar 23, 2013||Argentina 3 - Venezuela 0|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Oct 12, 2011||Venezuela 1 - Argentina 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Sep 2, 2011||Venezuela 0 - Argentina 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Mar 16, 2011||Argentina 4 - Venezuela 1|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Mar 28, 2009||Argentina 4 - Venezuela 0|
|Oct 11, 2013||Venezuela 1 - Paraguay 1||WCQ|
|Sep 11, 2013||Venezuela 3 - Peru 2||WCQ|
|Sep 7, 2013||Chile 3 - Venezuela 0||WCQ|
|Aug 15, 2013||Venezuela 2 - Bolivia 2||FR|
|Jun 12, 2013||Venezuela 0 - Uruguay 1||WCQ|
|-||Tomás Eduardo Rincón||Midfielder|
|3||Andres Tuñez Arceo||Defender|
|7||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed