Champions League Preview: Trabzonspor v Lille
The Turkish outfit, who claimed a shock 1-0 win away to 2010 winners Inter on matchday one, face the French champions in the second round of matches in Group B
By Mohammed Ali
Celustka, Kacar, Glowaski, Cech
Balci, Adrian, Hamit Altintop
Debuchy, Rozehnal, Basa, Beria
Balmont, Mavuba, Pedretti,
Hazard, Sow, Cole
Turkish international striker Burak Yilmaz continues to miss out due to a prolonged ban for a straight red during qualifying. Yilmaz struck a hat-tirck in the Super Lig encounter against Kardemir Karabuk.
Lille are without Aurelien Chedjou (thigh), Tulio de Melo (ligaments) and Dimitri Payet (knee) for the trip to Turkey. Benoit Pedretti, Rio Mavuba and Moussa Sow are expected to return to the starting XI after starting from the bench in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Lorient. Eden Hazard and Joe Cole will line up either side of Sow in an attacking 4-3-3 formation.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Trabzonspor secured a shock 1-0 victory over 2010 winners Inter at the San Siro on matchday one.
- Since their clash against the Italian giants, Senol Gunes' men have won one, drawn one and lost one of their three league games.
- The Turkish outfit lost 3-1 at home in their last outing against Ligue 1 opposition in the shape of Toulouse, who visited Trabzon in the 2009-10 Europa League play-offs.
- Trabzonspor drew 1-1 with Benfica in their last Champions League home game, in the tournament play-offs, before they lost 2-0 in Portugal and handed a reprieve by Uefa.
- Lille were held to a 2-2 draw at home to CSKA Moscow in their opening group game in this season's Champions League.
- Les Dogues were 2-0 ahead thanks to goals from Benoit Pedretti and Moussa Sow, before a pair of late strikes by Seydou Doumbia levelled the encounter.
- Rudi Garcia's men have drawn all three games since that match two weeks ago, relinquishing the lead in two of them.
- Trabzonspor's Robert Vittek played for the French champions between 2008 and 2010.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Trabzonspor AŞ 1-1 LOSC Lille Métropole
- 17.29 %
Trabzonspor AŞ 2-1 LOSC Lille Métropole
- 12.77 %
Trabzonspor AŞ 1-2 LOSC Lille Métropole
- 12.77 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 7, 2011||LOSC Lille Métropole 0 - Trabzonspor AŞ 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 27, 2011||Trabzonspor AŞ 1 - LOSC Lille Métropole 1|
|Dec 8, 2013||Gaziantepspor 3 - Trabzonspor AŞ 2||TUR1|
|Dec 1, 2013||Trabzonspor AŞ 3 - Kayseri Erciyesspor 1||TUR1|
|Nov 28, 2013||Trabzonspor AŞ 4 - Apollon Limassol 2||EL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Trabzonspor AŞ 1 - Eskişehirspor 0||TUR1|
|Nov 10, 2013||Gençlerbirliği SK 3 - Trabzonspor AŞ 2||TUR1|
|LOSC Lille Métropole|
|Dec 8, 2013||Bordeaux 1 - LOSC Lille Métropole 0||FRA1|
|Dec 3, 2013||LOSC Lille Métropole 1 - Olympique de Marseille 0||FRA1|
|Nov 30, 2013||Valenciennes FC 0 - LOSC Lille Métropole 1||FRA1|
|Nov 24, 2013||LOSC Lille Métropole 1 - Toulouse FC 0||FRA1|
|Nov 9, 2013||EA Guingamp 0 - LOSC Lille Métropole 0||FRA1|
|24||Rio Antonio Mavuba||Midfielder|
The Trabzonspor goalkeeper will definitely have his work cut out against Lille's attacking front three. With Zengin on top form against Inter, he'll need to produce the same quality if Senol Gunes' men are to stifle the Ligue 1 champions.
New loan signing Joe Cole notched his first goal for Lille at the weekend, and he'll be hoping for more soon. Deployed on the flank, either side of Hazard and Sow, he'll be the creative force on the wings and the source for attacking opportunities. The Englishman has faced Trabzonspor before, and so will be used to the hostile nature of their stadium.
Despite the plucky win by the Turks in matchday one over Inter, it is difficult to see them gain six out of six points by the end of this week's matches. No doubt a formidable side at home, but Lille should scrape this one if they are to go far in the competition.