Community Shield preview: Manchester City - Manchester United
From the current capital of English football, last season's FA Cup winners and Premier League champions renew their battle local for supremacy in this Wembley curtain raiser
By Adithya Ananth
Manchester City (4-3-3): Hart; Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy; Milner, De Jong, Toure Yaya; Silva, Balotelli, Aguero.
But one man's loss could be another's gain, as record signing Sergio Aguero may take the place of his international team-mate to make his competitive debut for City.
Manchester United (4-4-2): De Gea; Jones, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra; Young, Jones, Anderson, Nani; Rooney, Berbatov.
Javier Hernandez sustained a concussion during the Red Devils' tour of the USA, and will not take any part in the upcoming game against his club's local rivals at Wembley.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United are the most successful team in the history of the FA Community Shield - previously known as the FA Charity Shield – and have won it a record 18 times.
- In the past 10 years, the Red Devils have made their way to this match on six occasions, with the seventh set to take place on Sunday in the clash against arch-rivals Manchester City.
- The most number of goals scored in one game in the Shield is 12, when United beat Swindon Town 8-4 back in 1911.
- Ryan Giggs holds the record for the most number of appearances in the annual game between the FA Cup holders and the Premier League winners, with 13 such encounters to his name. On eight occasions, the Old Trafford club ended up with a positive result.
- Manchester City last played in the Shield in 1973, losing 1-0 to Burnley at the time, with defender Colin Waldron having had the honour of scoring the only goal in the game.
- The last time these two sides met in this fixture was back in 1956, when a solitary goal from Red Devils legend Dennis Viollet settled matters on the day.
- From 1997 to 2004, there appeared to be a 'curse' surrounding the Community Shield, whereby no team that won the season opener went on to win the league. But that has changed in recent years, as the winners of the Shield have gone on to win the Premier League in five of the last six seasons.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City FC 0-2 Man Utd.
- 17.62 %
Manchester City FC 1-2 Man Utd.
- 15.11 %
Manchester City FC 1-3 Man Utd.
- 14.41 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 22, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - Man Utd. 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 8, 2013||Man Utd. 1 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 9, 2012||Manchester City FC 2 - Man Utd. 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 30, 2012||Manchester City FC 1 - Man Utd. 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Jan 8, 2012||Manchester City FC 2 - Man Utd. 3|
|Manchester City FC|
|Dec 10, 2013||FC Bayern München 2 - Manchester City FC 3||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City FC 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Manchester City FC 3||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Manchester City FC 3 - Swansea 0||EPL|
|Nov 27, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - FC Viktoria Plzeň 2||UCL|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed