- America (EN)
- United Kingdom (EN)
- India (EN)
- Ireland (EN)
- Malaysia (EN)
- Singapore (EN)
- Canada (EN)
- Australia (EN)
- Nigeria (EN)
- Ghana (EN)
- Kenya (EN)
- South Africa (EN)
- España (ES)
- Argentina (ES)
World Cup Qualifying Preview: Argentina v Chile
Lionel Messi & Co. get their World Cup Qualifying campaign underway at the Estadio Monumental against a Chilean side who are missing both Alexis Sanchez and Gary Medel
By Tom Webber
Zabaleta, Burdisso, Demichellis
Rojo, Banega, Brana
Di Maria, Sosa
Jara, Ponce, Gonzalez
Isla, Carmona, Vidal, Beausejour
Argentina are without Javier Mascherano due to his dismissal in the Copa America quarter-final against Uruguay back in July. In his place may step Rodrigo Brana of Estudiantes or Sporting Lisbon's Fabian Rinaudo. Mario Andujar is likely to take the place of Sergio Romero if the Sampdoria stopper does not recover from a knock.
Chile are without two of their key players as Alexis Sanchez and Gary Medel both miss out through injury. Eduardo Vargas has been touted as an ideal replacement for the absent Barcelona forward, however it seems likely that Mauricio Pinilla will be preferred. Claudio Borghi sticks with his favoured 3-4-1-2 formation, giving Matias Fernandez the chance to pull the strings behind the strikers.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Argentina have faced chile 82 times, winning 54 whilst losing only six.
- This will be Alejandro Sabella's first competitive fixture as manager of the team since taking over from Sergio Batista.
- Excluding the recent Superclasico de las Americas tie against Brazil, Argentina have won both their friendlies since the Copa America.
- Argentina's last game at the Estadio Monumental was a 4-0 win against Albania in June of this year. Lionel Messi was among the scorers that night.
- Since crashing out of the Copa America to Venezuela in the summer, Chile have now gone four games without a win.
- Chile played their first international game against Argentina in 1910. The Albiceleste won 3-1 in Buenos Aires.
- The last time these two met it was in another World Cup Qualifying match. Chile came out on top thanks to Fabio Orellana's solitary goal.
- Chile finished above Argentina in second place in the last edition of the CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers. Five points separated the neighbouring countries.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Argentina 2-0 Chile
- 19.42 %
Argentina 3-1 Chile
- 16.52 %
Argentina 3-0 Chile
- 13.31 %
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Oct 17, 2012||Chile 1 - Argentina 2|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Oct 8, 2011||Argentina 4 - Chile 1|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Oct 16, 2008||Chile 1 - Argentina 0|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Oct 13, 2007||Argentina 2 - Chile 0|
|Mar 26, 2013||Bolivia 1 - Argentina 1||WCQ|
|Mar 23, 2013||Argentina 3 - Venezuela 0||WCQ|
|Feb 6, 2013||Sweden 2 - Argentina 3||FR|
|Nov 22, 2012||Argentina 2 - Brazil 1||FR|
|Nov 14, 2012||Saudi Arabia 0 - Argentina 0||FR|
|Returns:||Argentina £14.00||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Returns:||Draw £660.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Chile £810.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|12||Mariano Gonzalo Andújar||Goalkeeper|
|-||Nicolas Andres Burdisso|
|7||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
|-||Ricardo Gabriel Álvarez|