Copa America Preview: Peru - Venezuela
Peru look to secure their best-ever Copa America finish since the golden generation of the 70s, while Venezuela appear in their first-ever third-place play-off
By Enis Koylu
|Peru: Fernandez; Carmona, Acasiete, Rodriguez, Vilchez; Balbin, Yotun, Ballon, Cruzado; Guerrero, Advincula
Star man and captain Juan Manuel Vargas misses out due to his red card in the semi-final against Uruguay. After limping off in that match, Adan Balbin is a doubt, though the Universidad San Martin midfielder could be risked.
|Venezuela: Vega; Rosales, Rey, Vizcarrondo, Cichero; Lucena, Gonzalez, Rincon; Arango; Miku, Rondon
Miku will likely be restored to the starting line-up after shining when coming off the bench in the semi-final. Juan Manuel Rey is set to start following Grenndy's Perozo's semi-final knock.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Peru were in the top four of the competition in 1959 - also in Argentina, missing out on third place to Paraguay.
- Out of all the teams that got into the quarter-finals, only Colombia netted fewer goals than Peru.
- Peru's quarter-final victory against Colombia was their first last-eight victory in eight attempts.
- Peru are currently placed 49th in the Fifa rankings - up from their lowest ever position of 91st just 20 months ago.
- If Venezuela win on Saturday, they will have won more games at this Copa America than they had done in all of their previous appearances combined.
- With six different goalscorers, Venezuela have had more names on the scoresheet in this edition of the Copa than any other team.
- Only Venezuela have scored more than one goal from outside the penalty area in the tournament.
- Peru lost their only game at La Plata - a 2-0 defeat in the semi-final to Argentina, while Venezuela kicked off their Copa America campaign at this ground with a shock 0-0 draw with holders Brazil.
- These two sides met in the 2007 Copa America - with hosts Venezuela emerging with a 2-0 victory.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Peru 1-2 Venezuela
- 17.17 %
Peru 0-1 Venezuela
- 16.89 %
Peru 1-0 Venezuela
- 12.81 %
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Sep 11, 2013||Venezuela 3 - Peru 2|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Sep 8, 2012||Peru 2 - Venezuela 1|
|Copa America (CA)||Jul 23, 2011||Peru 4 - Venezuela 1|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Sep 10, 2009||Venezuela 3 - Peru 1|
|World Cup Qualifying - Conmebol (WCQ)||Sep 6, 2008||Peru 1 - Venezuela 0|
|Oct 16, 2013||Peru 1 - Bolivia 1||WCQ|
|Oct 12, 2013||Argentina 3 - Peru 1||WCQ|
|Sep 11, 2013||Venezuela 3 - Peru 2||WCQ|
|Sep 7, 2013||Peru 1 - Uruguay 2||WCQ|
|Aug 14, 2013||South Korea 0 - Peru 0||FR|
|-||Aldo Sebastián Corzo|
|19||Víctor Yoshimar Yotún||Midfielder|
|-||Antonio Emiliano González|
|-||Leao Butrón Gotuzzo|
|7||Josepmir Ballón Villacorta||Midfielder|
|-||José Manuel Rey|
|-||Tomás Eduardo Rincón|
|-||José Luis Granados|
|-||G. Di Giorgi|
|-||Alejandro Abraham Guerra||Midfielder|