La Liga Preview: Real Madrid - Real Zaragoza
Jose Mourinho's men will be hoping to bounce back from their Copa del Rey exit with another league win against a side who are struggling to pick up points
By Luke Matthews
Arbeloa, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo
Diarra, Xabi Alonso
Callejon, Ozil, Ronaldo
Obradovic, Da Silva, Lanzaro, Paredes
Micael, Dujmovic, Apono, Lafita
Real Madrid will be without Sami Khedira who is absent through an ankle injury, while Angel Di Maria is still missing with a knock. Jose Mourinho's men do not have any new absentees since their Copa del Rey exit midweek and Pepe looks set to continue to start in central defence.
The Portugal international will play alongside Sergio Ramos who is available for the game as his sending off versus Barcelona on Wednesday will only see him banned from the Copa del Rey.
Marcelo could come into the starting line-up at left-back while Jose Callejon may be given the nod ahead of Kaka in attack. Karim Benzema is expected to replace Gonzalo Higuain as Madrid's lone striker.
For Manolo Jimenez's side, there are no recent injury problems as Paulo da Silva is expected to continue at the heart of the defence after returning from a broken leg while Ivan Obradovic is set to feature at right-back.
The visitors are expected to name three players on-loan at the club in midfield - Apono, Ruben Micael and Tomislav Dujmovic, while Helder Postiga looks set to lead the line with support coming from Luis Garcia.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Real Madrid have been awarded nine penalties in the league this season, more than any other side.
- Los Blancos have scored at least three goals in 15 of their 18 home games this term in all competitions. The three games where they failed to score more than three were all against rivals Barcelona.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 30 goals in 30 appearances in all competitions this season.
- Real Zaragoza are winless in 12 games (nine defeats, three draws), the longest streak without a win in La Liga this campaign.
- In 57 previous visits to the Santiago Bernabeu, Zaragoza have only picked up four wins, although they did beat Mourinho's men 3-2 last season.
- Zaragoza's top goalscorer in the league is Helder Postiga with four goals, and the Portuguese forward previously played under Mourinho at Porto between 2003 and 2005.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid CF 8-0 Zaragoza
- 16.42 %
Real Madrid CF 5-0 Zaragoza
- 15.09 %
Real Madrid CF 4-0 Zaragoza
- 14.44 %
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Mar 30, 2013||Zaragoza 1 - Real Madrid CF 1|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Nov 3, 2012||Real Madrid CF 4 - Zaragoza 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Jan 28, 2012||Real Madrid CF 3 - Zaragoza 1|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Aug 28, 2011||Zaragoza 0 - Real Madrid CF 6|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Apr 30, 2011||Real Madrid CF 2 - Zaragoza 3|
|Real Madrid CF|
|Mar 9, 2014||Real Madrid CF 3 - Levante 0||LIGA|
|Mar 2, 2014||Atletico Madrid 2 - Real Madrid CF 2||LIGA|
|Feb 26, 2014||Schalke 04 1 - Real Madrid CF 6||UCL|
|Feb 22, 2014||Real Madrid CF 3 - Elche 0||LIGA|
|Feb 16, 2014||Getafe 0 - Real Madrid CF 3||LIGA|
|14||Paulo Da Silva||Defender|
|17||Pablo Edson Barrera||Striker|
The French striker has been in top form this season and looked very sharp in a cameo appearance off the bench midweek against Barcelona, grabbing a goal in the process. The Zaragoza defence will have a tough task keeping the former Lyon man quiet for 90 minutes.
The former Porto man is the club's top Liga scorer with four goals yet the Portugal international has not scored in over two months. Postiga will need to find his shooting boots if Zaragoza are to have any chance over Los Blancos.
With Madrid going goal crazy at home and Zaragoza's run of 12 games without a win in Liga, it is diffifult to see anything other than a comfortable home win when the two teams meet on Saturday evening.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed