La Liga Preview: Sevilla - Espanyol
The pressure continues to mount on coach Marcelino, who will be desperate for a win, as his side welcome the Catalans to the Sanchez Pizjuan on Saturday
By Daniel Quinton-Navarro
Coke, Spahic, Fazio, Caceres
Navas, Rakitic, Moral
Lopez, Moreno, Rodriguez, Didac
Weiss, Verdu, Bifouma
Sevilla coach Marcelino welcomes back Manu del Moral who served his one match suspension, and the team's top scorer should be restored to the starting XI. Defender Fernando Navarro, however, was shown his fifth yellow card of the campaign against Rayo Vallecano last weekend and as a result misses the match through suspension, while Martin Caceres expected to recover in time.
Jesus Navas featured against Valencia despite a slight knock and he will be expected to shake off any problems ahead of Saturday's match, while Frederic Kanoute is the only other injury doubt but is likely to be named amongst the substitutes.
Mauricio Pochettino's side secured a 1-1 draw in the Catalan derby last Sunday but his side face a similarly challenging test when they visit the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan. Espanyol are missing Felipe Mattioni and Javier Marquez and goalkeeper Cristian Alvarez.
The Catalan side's first choice keeper suffered a muscle tear and Pochettino is expected to put his faith in the unknown Kiko Casilla.
Sergio Garcia is also absent from the squad after the striker picked up his fifth yellow card of the season and will serve his suspension on Saturday.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sevilla have won more Liga matches against Espanyol than any other side in the history of Primera Division, winning an incredible 59 matches against the Catalans.
- The Andalusians are yet to pick up a single point in a match where they have conceded the opening goal.
- Jose Antonio Reyes scored his first-ever goal for Sevilla against Espanyol and could repeat this feat as he is likely to be on the substitutes bench.
- Espanyol have taken the second-most points over the last three matchdays, with two wins and a draw, whilst their opponents have taken the fewest (0).
- If Espanyol are to win history says that there will be goals. In all but one of the last nine wins the Catalans have had at Sevilla they have netted at least two times.
- The Barcelona-based side have scored less goals away from home than both Sporting Gijon and Real Sociedad who are embroiled in a relegation battle.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Sevilla 1-2 Espanyol
- 19.05 %
Sevilla 2-1 Espanyol
- 13.33 %
Sevilla 1-1 Espanyol
- 12.38 %
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Nov 10, 2013||Espanyol 1 - Sevilla 3|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||May 5, 2013||Sevilla 3 - Espanyol 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Dec 7, 2012||Espanyol 2 - Sevilla 2|
|Spain - Copa del Rey (ESPC)||Nov 28, 2012||Espanyol 0 - Sevilla 3|
|Spain - Copa del Rey (ESPC)||Nov 1, 2012||Sevilla 3 - Espanyol 1|
|Mar 2, 2014||Sevilla 1 - Real Sociedad 0||LIGA|
|Feb 27, 2014||Sevilla 2 - NK Maribor 1||EL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Rayo Vallecano 0 - Sevilla 1||LIGA|
|Feb 20, 2014||NK Maribor 2 - Sevilla 2||EL|
|Feb 16, 2014||Sevilla 0 - Valencia CF 0||LIGA|
|2||Federico Julián Fazio||Defender|
|15||Jesús Navas González||Midfielder|
|14||Manu Del Moral||Striker|
|16||Javier López Rodríguez||Defender|
|6||Juan Daniel Forlín||Defender|
|Manu Del Moral|
Back from suspension and still the top scorer for Marcelino's side, with the Spanish coach hoping he can find the back of the net with his position as manager under threat. Manu comes inside brilliantly and works well with the attacking stringet of players, always invovled.
A hat-trick in the Copa del Rey, Alvaro Vazquez is well and truly flying at the moment and time and will pose a danger throughout the match to a Sevilla defence who have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last three La Liga matches.
Sevilla will be looking to stop a streak of three pointless matches but will find it difficult, against a confident Espanyol side, to win the match.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed