La Liga Preview: Sevilla v Real Madrid
Jose Mourinho's men return to La Liga duty as they attempt to take advantage of their game in hand over Barcelona and go three points clear at the top
By Martin Macdonald
Coke, Spahic, Fazio, Navarro
Navas, Rakitic, Trochowski, Manu
Diarra, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo
Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo
Jose Mourinho's side quietly got back on track after the Clasico defeat to Barcelona by professionally dispatching Segunda B side Ponferradina in the Copa del Rey on Tuesday, but it is back to La Liga duties as they face Sevilla.
The only Madrid player ruled out of the match is Ricardo Carvalho, who is still sidelined with a back injury. Eight first-team players were left out of the squad for the cup match, but the likes of Karim Benzema, Xabi Alonso, and Iker Casillas will all return for league duty.
Sevilla are still sweating over the fitness of Argentine winger Diego Perotti, who is still sidelined with the hamstring injury he suffered in the 3-0 victory over Getafe at the start of December.
Marcelino looks set to name an unchanged side from the last Liga match, in which he saw his side go down to fourth placed Levante.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last match between Sevilla and Real Madrid was a thrilling encounter in which Jose Mourinho's side emerged with a 6-2 victory in Andalucia.
- Sevilla have scored 16 goals in La Liga so far this season, well under half of the 50 goals Madrid have notched.
- However, Marcelino's men have conceded just 11 goals so far, two less than Real Madrid. This is the second best record in the league, behind Barcelona.
- Real Madrid's last defeat against Sevilla was back in 2009, when they lost 2-1 at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more goals in the league this season than the entire Sevilla squad.
- Madrid's Clasico defeat to Barcelona was the first time since the start of the 2009-10 campaign that they have lost after taking the lead in a La Liga match.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Sevilla 0-3 Real Madrid CF
- 13.89 %
Sevilla 1-3 Real Madrid CF
- 12.89 %
Sevilla 2-1 Real Madrid CF
- 11.81 %
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Oct 30, 2013||Real Madrid CF 7 - Sevilla 3|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Feb 9, 2013||Real Madrid CF 4 - Sevilla 1|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Sep 15, 2012||Sevilla 1 - Real Madrid CF 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Apr 29, 2012||Real Madrid CF 3 - Sevilla 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Dec 17, 2011||Sevilla 2 - Real Madrid CF 6|
|Dec 6, 2013||Racing de Santander 0 - Sevilla 1||ESPC|
|Dec 1, 2013||Granada 1 - Sevilla 2||LIGA|
|Nov 28, 2013||Sevilla 1 - G D Estoril Praia 1||EL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Sevilla 4 - Betis 0||LIGA|
|Nov 10, 2013||Espanyol 1 - Sevilla 3||LIGA|
|2||Federico Julián Fazio||Defender|
|15||Jesús Navas González||Midfielder|
|14||Manu Del Moral||Striker|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
|Jesús Navas González|