Paris Saint-Germain – Ajaccio Preview: Ancelotti's men must recover after losing top spot
Les Parisiens have been knocked off their Championnat-leading perch after a 4-4 draw with Lyon, and they will begin their game of catch-up against a team in surprising form
By Robin Bairner
Jallet, Alex, Sakho, Maxwell
Menez, Pastore, Nene
Diawara, Medjani, Poulard, Bouhours
Andre, Cavalli, Tiberi
Carlo Ancelotti will have a very strong unit to select from for this clash. Milan Bisevac remains doubtful, but otherwise the Italian can call upon all of his top players, with Ceara and Christophe Jallet having shaken off problems to feature in the squad last weekend.
Not too many changes are anticipated from the team that drew 4-4 with Olympique Lyonnais, with Guillaume Hoarau, who struck twice last weekend, and Javier Pastore liable to retain their spots in the starting XI.
Ajaccio may start this game with a more defensive outlook than they have had in recent times, but they will travel to the capital with a group of players who have achieved strong results in 2012. Fabrice Begeorgi remains a long-term absentee, having seriously injured his knee earlier in the season, while on-loan Marseille defender Leyti N’Diaye is unlikely to play any part.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Last weekend’s dramatic 4-4 draw with Lyon at Stade Gerland opened the door for Montpellier to snatch the leadership of Ligue 1 from Paris Saint-Germain.
- Les Parisiens only avoided their first defeat under Ancelotti thanks to a dramatic late header from Hoarau, who had earlier opened the scoring with a neat finish.
- The last time that PSG tasted defeat was in the first week of December, when they lost to Red Bull Salzburg in the Europa League, 14 matches ago.
- PSG have scored exactly twice the number of goals that their visitors have at Parc des Princes this season, notching 24 in 13 games in front of their home fans.
- On Sunday, they will attempt to end a three-game streak of draws in the league.
- Over the course of the last eight Ligue 1 fixtures, Ajaccio have the second-best form in the league, winning 17 points. Montpellier's record is superior on goal difference.
- Their only defeat in that time came away against league leaders, who smashed them 3-0.
- Before embarking on this run, Ajaccio sat rock-bottom of the table with only one win to their credit.
- They actually won 4-2 in their last trip to PSG, but that was in 2006 and represents their only success in six attempts.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Paris Saint-Germain 3-0 AC Ajaccio
- 14.55 %
Paris Saint-Germain 4-0 AC Ajaccio
- 14.55 %
Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 AC Ajaccio
- 9.09 %
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Jan 11, 2014||AC Ajaccio 1 - Paris Saint-Germain 2|
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Aug 18, 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 1 - AC Ajaccio 1|
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Jan 11, 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 0 - AC Ajaccio 0|
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Aug 19, 2012||AC Ajaccio 0 - Paris Saint-Germain 0|
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Mar 4, 2012||Paris Saint-Germain 4 - AC Ajaccio 1|
|Apr 13, 2014||Olympique Lyonnais 1 - Paris Saint-Germain 0||FRA1|
|Apr 8, 2014||Chelsea FC 2 - Paris Saint-Germain 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Paris Saint-Germain 3 - Stade de Reims 0||FRA1|
|Apr 2, 2014||Paris Saint-Germain 3 - Chelsea FC 1||UCL|
|Mar 28, 2014||OGC Nice 0 - Paris Saint-Germain 1||FRA1|
|1||Francisco Guillermo Ochoa||Goalkeeper|
After his deadly double last weekend, Hoarau is firmly in favour at PSG, having spent a frustrating campaign struggling with injury problems. His height caused Lyon a great deal of worry last weekend, and the former Le Havre striker will hope he can be the cause of just as many troubles in the visiting defence on Sunday.
|Francisco Guillermo Ochoa|
That Mexico international goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa finds himself at Ajaccio is truly remarkable. Behind only Javier Hernandez in the popularity stakes in his home country, the shot-stopper moved to the Corsicans as they stuck by him when he was accused of having taken performance-enhancing drugs last summer. He is clearly playing below his level with the island side, and he could be the factor that keeps them in Ligue 1 next season.
Although Ajaccio’s recent form has been excellent, while PSG’s has been rather stumbling, Les Parisiens showed enough last weekend to suggest that they’ll be able to win this match with some to spare. Humbled easily by Montpellier away from home, expect the proud visitors to be similarly beaten on Sunday.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed