Tottenham - Swansea Preview: Spurs look to continue charge for final Champions League spot
With Chelsea picking up points and momentum just five points behind, Spurs will be hopeful of a victory against the impressive Swans to maintain their position in the top four
By Chris Teale
Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto
Lennon, Parker, Modric, Bale
Van der Vaart
Williams, Taylor, Tate, Rangel
Routledge, Britton, Allen, Sigurdsson, Sinclair
Tottenham defender Ledley King is unlikely to play again having started in the midweek FA Cup victory over Bolton. However, having rotated his squad during the week, Harry Redknapp has no new injury or suspension concerns ahead of this game.
Swansea will be without Spurs loanee Steven Caulker, who is ineligible to play against his parent club, with vice-captain Alan Tate expected to take his place in the centre of defence. Manager Brendan Rodgers is unlikely to make changes to his side despite their 2-0 home defeat to Everton in their last game.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Tottenham have lost just one of their last 14 home games in the Premier League, that defeat being a 3-1 reversal against Manchester United on March 4.
- Spurs' regular stand-in captain Scott Parker (pictured right) has made 99 tackles this season in the Premier League, which is more than any other player in the division.
- Tottenham are the only side in the Premier League not to have scored from a free kick this season, and have netted the fewest goals of all the sides currently in the top four, while conceding the second-most.
- The top league scorer for Spurs this season is Emmanuel Adebayor with 11, despite his last goal coming over a month ago in the 5-2 defeat away to his former club Arsenal. Adebayor is 5.0 with 188Bet to score the first goal in this game.
- In the corresponding fixture at the Liberty Stadium earlier this season, Swansea City earned themselves a dramatic 1-1 draw thanks to an 84th-minute equaliser from Scott Sinclair, cancelling out Rafael van der Vaart’s 44th-minute opener.
- Both sides have lost three of their last six Premier League games, with Tottenham’s last league victory coming at home to Newcastle United, whom they beat 5-0 on February 11, while Swansea won three consecutively before their recent defeat to Everton.
- The Swans have won four of their last six away games in the Premier League, with their two defeats in those games coming against Sunderland on January 21 and Stoke City on February 26.
- Swansea’s Wayne Routledge spent an unsuccessful three-year spell with Tottenham between 2005 and 2008, making just seven appearances for Spurs before departing for Aston Villa in 2008 after loan spells with Portsmouth and Fulham.
- Away goalkeeper Michel Vorm has earned the nickname ‘penalty killer’ thanks to his superb penalty-saving abilities and has kept 11 Premier League clean sheets this season, second only to Joe Hart of Manchester City.
- Swansea have enjoyed a great deal of success against league sides from London this season, picking up 12 points home and away in their eight games against teams from the capital city.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 1-2 Swansea
- 16.27 %
Tottenham 3-1 Swansea
- 13.91 %
Tottenham 2-0 Swansea
- 13.61 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 19, 2014||Swansea 1 - Tottenham 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 25, 2013||Tottenham 1 - Swansea 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Swansea 1 - Tottenham 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 16, 2012||Tottenham 1 - Swansea 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 1, 2012||Tottenham 3 - Swansea 1|
|Mar 8, 2014||Chelsea FC 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 2, 2014||Tottenham 1 - Cardiff City 0||EPL|
|Feb 27, 2014||Tottenham 3 - Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1||EL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Norwich City 1 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Feb 20, 2014||Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1 - Tottenham 0||EL|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
With his attacking play combined with good defensive abilities, Kyle Walker has played his way into the Tottenham first-team and the England squad having been on the fringes for some time. He will be hopeful of giving Swansea some problems on their left, and possibly adding to his tally of two Premier League goals.
With his superb finishing ability, Graham has impressed after a slow start leading Swansea’s line earlier this season. Graham is one of the deadliest finishers in the league, and will be confident of causing the Spurs defence some issues.
After their 1-1 draw with Spurs at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea will be upbeat about their chances of taking a positive result from this game, especially after their superb form in the Premier League this season. However, Spurs will be confident at White Hart Lane, and should have enough to see off the Swans’ challenge.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed