Wigan - Manchester United Preview: Red Devils on eight-match winning streak
Roberto Martinez prepares to face champions-elect, but will be aware of three 5-0 defeats the Latics have suffered in their previous five meetings with Sir Alex Ferguson's side
By Jay Jaffa
Alcaraz, Caldwell, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, McArthur, Beausejour
Rafael, Evans, Ferdinand, Evra
Valencia, Scholes, Carrick, Young
Neither team have any suspensions to worry about but there are injuries afflicting both squads.
Roberto Martinez is without Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega for the visit of Manchester United but it is the away side who have more players on the treatment table.
||Manchester United are 30/1 with Paddy Power to beat Wigan 5-0 on Wednesday.
Midfielder Anderson remains sidelined with a hamstring injury but could return next week. However in better news, Nani and Michael Owen are both expected to be fit for selection for the trip to the DW Stadium.
The Latics have no long-term injury concerns, but Sir Alex Ferguson will have to wait until the summer for the return of Nemanja Vidic and Darren Fletcher. Goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard also remains a long-term doubt.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan have a terrible recent record against their visitors, recording an enormous 21-0 deficit in the last five encounters.
- Manchester United have won five of their last games without conceding a goal.
- The hosts have never so much as taken a point off United in any meeting between the sides.
- Wigan have scored just four times in the 14 matches.
- Victor Moses (right), Franco Di Santo and Jordi Gomez are the home side's top goalscorers this year with a paltry four goals each.
- In contrast, Wayne Rooney has 30 goals to his name in one of his most impressive campaigns.
- Roberto Martinez's side have lost just once in their last five games though, and were unfortunate to leave Stamford Bridge empty-handed following two officiating blunders.
- They have also found their shooting boots, scoring in the last five fixtures.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 0-3 Man Utd.
- 30.57 %
Wigan Athletic 0-4 Man Utd.
- 14.57 %
Wigan Athletic 0-2 Man Utd.
- 14.1 %
|FA Community Shield (FACS)||Aug 11, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Man Utd. 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 1, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Man Utd. 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 15, 2012||Man Utd. 4 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 11, 2012||Wigan Athletic 1 - Man Utd. 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 26, 2011||Man Utd. 5 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Mar 9, 2014||Manchester City FC 1 - Wigan Athletic 2||FA|
|Mar 1, 2014||Nottingham Forest 1 - Wigan Athletic 4||ENG2|
|Feb 22, 2014||Brighton 1 - Wigan Athletic 2||ENG2|
|Feb 18, 2014||Wigan Athletic 2 - Barnsley 0||ENG2|
|Feb 15, 2014||Cardiff City 1 - Wigan Athletic 2||FA|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|14||Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez||Striker|
Wigan's main attacking weapon will need to be at his absolute best to threaten United. He is at his most effective on the break and may find his best opportunities come later in the game, particularly if Wigan can keep the game tight in the early stages.
The wideman has contributed a very creditable 12 assists and four goals in his 17 starts this year. He gave Sir Alex Ferguson's side a timely boost when he initially returned from injury and has gone on from strength to strength showing himself to be one of the best wingers in the Premier League.
I don't think it will be a walkover for United, no matter the past history of this fixture. I expect Wigan to have a decent go and if they stay defensively solid they may have a chance of nicking a point - especially if complacency slips into United's game. That said, if I were betting on this, it would be foolish to back anything other than an away win.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed