West Brom - Chelsea Preview: Andre Villas-Boas' side looking for 12th consecutive Premier League win over Baggies
Roy Hodgson's men have only picked up three victories at home in the league this season but, following nine goals from their last two matches, confidence is back at the Hawthorns
By Ryan Benson
Reid, Olsson, McAuley, Ridgewell
Morrison, Andrews, Mulumbu, Thomas
Ivanovic, Luiz, Cahill, Cole
Lampard, Ramires, Meireles
Sturridge, Torres, Mata
Roy Hodgson’s West Brom welcome Chelsea to the Hawthorns on Saturday looking to move into the top half of the Premier League, but the former Liverpool manager is sweating on the fitness of a few key players.
Jerome Thomas (hamstring), Paul Scharner (rib) and Chris Brunt (ankle) are all doubtful for the match and will undergo late fitness tests, but it remains unlikely that they will start.
Chelsea have a number of concerns of their own too. Daniel Sturridge (toe) is doubtful while Didier Drogba (knee) looks set to miss out, meaning that Fernando Torres should start, possibly alongside the England attacker, who is expected to have recovered in time.
Elsewhere, Jose Bosingwa (hamstring) and John Terry (knee) are both definitely out, with the Blues captain set to miss out for the rest of March.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea have won 18 of their last 20 games with West Brom, drawing the other two.
- West Brom have scored the third least amount of goals at home in the Premier League this season.
- Frank Lampard (pictured right) needs just one goal to reach the 150 mark in the Premier League. Lampard is 13/2 with Bet365 to be the first goalscorer against West Brom.
- Chelsea have drawn six of their last 11 league games, winning three and drawing twice.
- Roy Hodgson’s side have only won three times at home this term.
- The Baggies have scored nine goals in their last two league games.
- Andre Villas-Boas’ team have lost three matches away from home in the league this season, with only Manchester United losing less, only tasting defeat at Newcastle.
- West Brom have scored 30.3 per cent (10) of their league goals in the final 15 minutes of matches.
- Chelsea are looking for their 12th consecutive Premier League win against the Midlands club.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
West Bromwich Albion 0-3 Chelsea FC
- 20.48 %
West Bromwich Albion 1-3 Chelsea FC
- 17.15 %
West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Chelsea FC
- 15.41 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 11, 2014||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Chelsea FC 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 9, 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - West Bromwich Albion 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 2, 2013||Chelsea FC 1 - West Bromwich Albion 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 17, 2012||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Chelsea FC 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 3, 2012||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Chelsea FC 0|
|West Bromwich Albion|
|Mar 15, 2014||Swansea 1 - West Bromwich Albion 2||EPL|
|Mar 8, 2014||West Bromwich Albion 0 - Man Utd. 3||EPL|
|Feb 22, 2014||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Fulham 1||EPL|
|Feb 11, 2014||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|Feb 8, 2014||Crystal Palace 3 - West Bromwich Albion 1||EPL|
|-||Sebastien Gabriel Tamaş||Defender|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Chelsea have been fairly solid away from home this season and West Brom have been poor in front of their own fans, but if the Baggies hope to pick up a win on Saturday, Odemwingie’s presence up front will likely have something to do with it.
The former West Ham man appeared to close to his best last weekend as he surged forward from midfield, bursting into the penalty box several times, also getting his name on the scoresheet. Lampard has looked in determined mood in recent weeks and he will be looking to continue his resurgence as he seeks his 150th Premier League goal.
The reports of unrest in the Chelsea camp have hardly helped their form of late, but they should have too much for Roy Hodgson’s men on Saturday.