Newcastle United - Manchester City Preview: Table-topping Citizens face tough test at Champions League-chasing Toon
Both teams head into Sunday’s clash on the back of morale-boosting wins this week - Roberto Mancini’s men beat Manchester United 1-0 while Alan Pardew’s side won 2-0 at Chelsea
By Miles Chambers
Perch, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez
Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba
Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Barry, Y Toure
Silva, Aguero, Milner
Danny Simpson (ankle) remains a doubt for Newcastle after missing his first match all season on Wednesday. Steven Taylor (Achilles), Peter Lovenkrands (thigh) and Haris Vuckic (knee) are unlikely to return this season while Danny Guthrie (calf) could be back in action on Sunday. Cheikh Tiote (concussion) took a heavy blow to the head in midweek but Alan Pardew has said that he will be fit for the Magpies' last home match of the campaign. Sammy Ameobi (ankle) has been training again and could make an appearance from the bench.
Manchester City’s squad almost have a clean bill of health. Goalkeeper Joe Hart (foot) is Roberto Mancini’s only possible doubt, after picking up the problem late in Monday’s game against Manchester United, but will more than likely be fit to travel to Tyneside.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle United have won seven of their last eight league matches - their only loss coming last weekend at Wigan Athletic - and are the most in-form team over the last eight games.
- Manchester City realistically only need to win their last two matches to be crowned Premier League champions because of their superior goal difference over level-on-points Manchester United. They will face QPR at home after this game.
- Papiss Cisse (pictured right) has equalled Kevin Phillips' and Mickey Quinn’s league record by scoring 13 goals in his first 12 appearances as a Magpies striker. Cisse is 11/1 with Bet365 to score two or more goals in this match.
- Newcastle have dropped just four points in nine home matches in 2012, winning nine of those ties. City, on the other hand, have won only four of their last 12 away clashes in the Premier League.
- In this match last season, a Nigel de Jong challenge broke Hatem Ben Arfa’s leg in a 3-1 win for City.
- The top goalscorer for Mancini's men in the 2011-12 campaign is 29-goal Sergio Aguero, but the Argentine striker has been substituted 20 times in top-flight fixtures this campaign - equal-most with Stoke City winger Matthew Etherington.
- Only Manchester United have a worse record than Newcastle recovering from losing positions in the league this season, as Pardew and co have picked up just four points from behind.
- City are unbeaten against the Tyneside club since September 24 2005, when a goal from Michael Owen was all that separated the sides in a 1-0 win. Sunday's visitors have won four out of their last four meetings, too.
- Newcastle are the only team in the top flight to have scored more goals in the first half (28) than the second (27). Pessimistically for the Magpies, Roberto Mancini’s men have conceded just six goals in first-half league games this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle 2-1 Manchester City FC
- 16.42 %
Newcastle 1-3 Manchester City FC
- 12.48 %
Newcastle 1-2 Manchester City FC
- 9.24 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 12, 2014||Newcastle 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Oct 30, 2013||Newcastle 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 19, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - Newcastle 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - Newcastle 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 15, 2012||Newcastle 1 - Manchester City FC 3|
|Apr 19, 2014||Newcastle 1 - Swansea 2||EPL|
|Apr 12, 2014||Stoke 1 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Newcastle 0 - Man Utd. 4||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Southampton 4 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Mar 25, 2014||Newcastle 0 - Everton 3||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|