Premier League Preview: Everton - Manchester City
Mancini's men will be out to put their League Cup disappointment behind them, while David Moyes' side will be hoping to record their first home league win since before Christmas
By Ross Jackson
Neville, Heitinga, Duffy, Baines
Drenthe, Cahill, Donovan
Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Silva, Aguero, Nasri
Jack Rodwell could make a return to the side after recovering from a hamstring injury picked up in the defeat to Bolton, although if not, expect Darron Gibson to retain his place in central midfield.
City welcome back captain Vincent Kompany following his four game suspension for a two-footed challenge on Nani in the Manchester derby.
They will, however, be without the suspended Mario Balotelli and Kolo and Yaya Toure, who are still away at the African Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last time these two sides met it was Roberto Mancini’s men who came out on top courtesy of a Mario Balotelli strike and a late James Milner effort.
- Everton did, however, take all three points in the last meeting at Goodison Park, with Leon Osman grabbing the headlines after Sylvain Distin had cancelled out Yaya Toure’s opener.
- Since Christmas Roberto Mancini’s side have won just three games in all competitions, being dumped out of both domestic Cup competitions in the process.
- The Toffees have won just three of their 11 home games in the league this season, less than the four victories they have managed on the road.
- Only city rivals United have taken more points away from home than Manchester City this season.
- Since Sheikh Mansour arrived in Manchester in 2008, Everton have won five of their seven meetings with the Merseyside outfit.
- David Moyes’ men have taken just two points from their last four league games.
- Tim Cahill’s goal in Everton’s last Premier League outing against Blackburn was the Australian’s first for over a year.
- Manchester City’s David Silva (right) has by far and away the most assists to his name in the Premier League this season, with 12.
- Manchester City’s three goals against Tottenham took their league total to 60 goals, the same amount they managed in the whole of last season after just 22 games
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Everton 0-2 Manchester City FC
- 14.48 %
Everton 0-3 Manchester City FC
- 13.99 %
Everton 1-3 Manchester City FC
- 13.87 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 5, 2013||Manchester City FC 3 - Everton 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 16, 2013||Everton 2 - Manchester City FC 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 1, 2012||Manchester City FC 1 - Everton 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 31, 2012||Everton 1 - Manchester City FC 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 24, 2011||Manchester City FC 2 - Everton 0|
|Dec 8, 2013||Arsenal 1 - Everton 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Man Utd. 0 - Everton 1||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||Everton 4 - Stoke 0||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Crystal Palace 0 - Everton 0||EPL|
|-||Adam John Forshaw||Midfielder|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
The on-loan Real Madrid midfielder has yet to really light up the Premier League with his undoubted talent. He has, however, showed flashes of the quality which has seen him capped by World Cup finalists Netherlands 24 times.
The 24-year-old’s pace and brawn should make for an exciting dual with the similarly athletic Micah Richards.
The Blues’ standout performer this season already has 12 assists to his name in 22 games. The Spaniard’s trickery and pace will be sure to test the inexperienced Shane Duffy.
With Samir Nasri yet to really have the desired effect at the club, Silva will have to be at his best if City are to continue their push towards the Premier League crown.