Premier League Preview: Wigan Athletic - Manchester City
At the DW Stadium, Roberto Mancini's side will look to stop a run of defeats after successive cup losses to rivals Manchester United and Liverpool put treble hopes on ice
By Michael Lightfoot
Stam, Caldwell, Alcaraz, Figueroa
Thomas, McCarthy, Jones, Crusat
Rodallega, Di Santo
Richards, Savic, Lescott, Zabaleta
Nasri, De Jong, Milner, Silva
Wigan Athletic will be without Mohamed Diame as he is on international duty with Senegal at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Midfielder Hendry Thomas has been asked to step into his place by boss Roberto Martinez and is expected to start.
Winger Albert Crusat is back after a back injury but it may be a game or two too early for Shaun Maloney, who is working his way back to match fitness.
Manchester City will be without key men Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure as the former is suspended following his red card against Manchester United in the FA Cup defeat and the latter is away on international duty with the Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Montenegrin Stefan Savic will continue to deputise for City's captain as Toure's brother Kolo is also playing at the tournament whilst Nigel De Jong should take Toure's place.
Spanish maestro David Silva is expected to make a recovery from an ankle injury that kept him out of the League Cup game against Liverpool in mid-week and Italian striker Mario Balotelli is a doubt after limping out of the same game.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan are leading the penalty charts this season, having been awarded six so far.
- They also have a tendency to fall asleep in the last 15 minutes of a match, conceding 11 times already this campaign.
- Their strikers aren't so hot either, having scored only 18 times in 20 matches.
- Roberto Martinez's men are winless in five matches, winning just one of 10 at home this season.
- Manchester City have won their last four matches against hosts Wigan without conceding a goal.
- City are winless in their last four away games in the Premier League.
- Having scored 56 goals already this term, City only need four more goals to equal their goal tally from the whole of last season - and it's only January.
- It will also be Happy Birthday to Pablo Zabaleta (pictured right) who will be playing on his 27th birthday.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-4 Manchester City FC
- 12.55 %
Wigan Athletic 0-3 Manchester City FC
- 9.98 %
Wigan Athletic 0-2 Manchester City FC
- 8.08 %
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Mar 9, 2014||Manchester City FC 1 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Sep 24, 2013||Manchester City FC 5 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||May 11, 2013||Manchester City FC 0 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 17, 2013||Manchester City FC 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 28, 2012||Wigan Athletic 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|Apr 12, 2014||Wigan Athletic 1 - Arsenal 1||FA|
|Apr 8, 2014||Wigan Athletic 0 - Millwall 1||ENG2|
|Apr 5, 2014||Wigan Athletic 1 - Leeds 0||ENG2|
|Apr 1, 2014||Wigan Athletic 2 - Leicester 2||ENG2|
|Mar 29, 2014||Bolton 1 - Wigan Athletic 1||ENG2|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed