Premier League Preview: Fulham v Arsenal
The Craven Cottage outfit look to beat Arsene Wenger's Gunners for the first time since August 23, 2008 in both sides' first game after the turn of the year 2012
By George Ankers
Kelly, Hangeland, Senderos, Riise
Dempsey, Ruiz, Dembele
Djourou, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen
Ramsey, Song, Arteta
Walcott, Van Persie, Gervinho
Arsenal are still without long-term absentees Jack Wilshere, Bakary Sagna and Andre Santos among an eight-strong injury list, so manager Arsene Wenger has options restricted with regard to changing his lineup from Saturday's QPR clash. Gervinho may come in to freshen up the forward line and to make best use of the Ivorian's talents before his imminent departure to the Africa Cup of Nations.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last time that Arsenal met Fulham, on November 26 at the Emirates Stadium, defender Thomas Vermaelen scored at both ends in a 1-1 draw.
- Fulham have not beaten the Gunners since August 23, 2008, when a solitary goal from centre-back Brede Hangeland was enough to sink Wenger's men at Craven Cottage.
- In the six meetings that have followed that result, three have been Arsenal wins and three, including the two most recent clashes, have ended in a draw.
- Gunners captain Robin van Persie fell one short of Alan Shearer's Premier League record of goals scored in a calendar year, notching a still-incredible 35 times in the league over the course of 2011.
- Clint Dempsey is the home side's top scorer so far this season with nine strikes to his name in all competitions. Compared to Van Persie's record, the American struck 13 in the past 12 months of Premier League football.
- Fulham have struggled to overcome fellow London sides so far this season, with three draws in five local derbies in all competitions so far this season. They also lost once to Tottenham and thumped QPR 6-0.
- The Gunners have fared slightly better, recording two wins and two draws in their own five derby games in 2011-12.
- Philippe Senderos, likely to start in central defence for Fulham, made 84 league appearances over seven years at Arsenal between 2003 and 2010.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Fulham 0-2 Arsenal
- 23.03 %
Fulham 1-2 Arsenal
- 18.55 %
Fulham 1-3 Arsenal
- 12.86 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 24, 2013||Fulham 1 - Arsenal 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 20, 2013||Fulham 0 - Arsenal 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 10, 2012||Arsenal 3 - Fulham 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 2, 2012||Fulham 2 - Arsenal 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 26, 2011||Arsenal 1 - Fulham 1|
|Dec 14, 2013||Everton 4 - Fulham 1||EPL|
|Dec 8, 2013||Fulham 2 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Fulham 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||West Ham 3 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Fulham 1 - Swansea 2||EPL|
|3||John Arne Riise||Defender|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
There were rumours during Arsenal's madcap shopping spree towards the end of the last transfer window that Arsene Wenger had his eye on the American, and he could do a lot worse than to take another look at Dempsey now that the January window has opened. The versatile, forward-thinking American has quality and determination in equal measure and could potentially torment the centre-backs who are likely to continue filling in at full-back for the Gunners.
|Robin van Persie|
The visitors' exemplary skipper may have failed to hit the hat-trick against QPR necessary to set a new record for the most Premier League goals in a calendar year but he is still a phenomenal player in phenomenal form. He should once again be the man to make the difference for the north London side and open his account with a possible view to making another tilt at history in 2012.
Arsenal's disastrous start to the season is almost a distant memory now with Saturday's win over QPR lifting them into the top four after a length absence. Fulham have struggled against the north Londoners in recent years and the visitors should have enough to emerge from Craven Cottage unscathed.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed