Premier League Preview: Manchester United v Wigan
Sir Alex Ferguson's side have won all 13 of their encounters with the Latics, and will hope to maintain the pressure on Manchester City at Old Trafford on Boxing Day
By Adithya Ananth
Smalling, Jones, Evans, Evra
Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Nani
Figueroa, Alcaraz, Caldwell
Stam, McCarthy, Diame, Jones
Ashley Young also joins the list of those missing, after he was stretchered off during the 5-0 victory over Fulham. Darron Gibson is also a doubt for the Lactics visit, yet Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Phil Jones has recovered from a facial injury sustained at Craven Cottage in time for the Boxing Day clash.
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez does not have a lengthy injury list to deal with, as Emmerson Boyce and Chris Kirkland (both back) are the only two players in his squad who are unavailable through injury.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United have lost only one game in the Premier League this season, which came in the 6-1 defeat to arch-rivals Manchester City at Old Trafford.
- The Red Devils have won every game they have played against the Latics throughout the course of their history. This accounts for 13 victories, 12 of which came in the Premier League. The other was the 4-0 League Cup final victory in 2006.
- During this time, Sir Alex Ferguson's men have put 41 goals past this opposition, conceding only four in the process.
- Wigan have scored only six goals away from home in the Premier League this season. Only Fulham have hit the back of the net fewer times on their travels.
- In all top-flight games this season, the visitors have scored only 15 goals. No team has scored fewer.
- The Latics have lost only one of their last six league games, a 4-0 defeat to Arsenal at the DW Stadium, but still lie in the relegation zone.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Man Utd. 4-0 Wigan Athletic
- 24.53 %
Man Utd. 3-0 Wigan Athletic
- 18.66 %
Man Utd. 5-0 Wigan Athletic
- 13.28 %
|FA Community Shield (FACS)||Aug 11, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Man Utd. 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 1, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Man Utd. 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 15, 2012||Man Utd. 4 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 11, 2012||Wigan Athletic 1 - Man Utd. 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 26, 2011||Man Utd. 5 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Dec 4, 2013||Man Utd. 0 - Everton 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Man Utd. 2||EPL|
|Nov 27, 2013||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0 - Man Utd. 5||UCL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Cardiff City 2 - Man Utd. 2||EPL|
|Nov 10, 2013||Man Utd. 1 - Arsenal 0||EPL|
|14||Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez||Striker|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|39||Mame Biram Diouf||Striker|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Jonny Evans will have his task cut out as he will likely have to put in a strong performance in the absence of other defenders who are currently in the treatment room.
|Ali Al Habsi|
The Latics have been on the receiving end of a few batterings in recent seasons from the Red Devils, which means that goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi will have to be on his toes if the visitors are to stand a chance of stealing a point at Old Trafford.
Despite problems in defence, Sir Alex Ferguson's men have enough in their locker to get a positive result against the Latics, particularly on home turf.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed