Premier League Preview: Manchester City v Newcastle United
The two sides are the only ones that are yet to lose a game this season, with their undefeated streak stretching back 14 matches each as they prepare to lock horns
By Adithya Ananth
Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Milner, Toure, Barry, Silva
Simpson, Taylor, Coloccini, Taylor
Obertan, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez
Gabriel Obertan (toe), Alan Smith (hamstring), Sylvain Marveaux (groin) and Michael Williamson (ankle) are all sidelined with respective injuries for Newcastle United, but Cheick Tiote has reportedly made progress in his recovery from a knee injury that he picked up last month.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City and Newcastle United are the only two teams that have not lost a single game in the Premier League this season. Stretching back to the last campaign, both sides have gone undefeated for 14 matches.
- City also have an excellent record against the men from Tyneside in the recent past, as they are undefeated in the last nine meetings between the two sides.
- Roberto Mancini's men have scored 39 goals in the Premier League so far. No other team has managed to hit the back of the net more times.
- But Newcastle United have been solid in defence, conceding only eight goals in the league. Theirs is the most miserly defence in the top-flight at the moment.
- Demba Ba (pictured right) has been prolific for the Toon this season, scoring eight goals in his last six league games, including a hat-trick against Stoke City. He is currently fifth in the goalscoring charts, with two opposition forwards - Edin Dzeko and Sergio Aguero - higher up, with the duo occupying the second and third places respectively.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City FC 3-1 Newcastle
- 16.1 %
Manchester City FC 3-0 Newcastle
- 12.88 %
Manchester City FC 2-0 Newcastle
- 9.23 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 12, 2014||Newcastle 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Oct 30, 2013||Newcastle 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 19, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - Newcastle 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - Newcastle 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 15, 2012||Newcastle 1 - Manchester City FC 3|
|Manchester City FC|
|Apr 16, 2014||Manchester City FC 2 - Sunderland 2||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City FC 2||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Manchester City FC 4 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Arsenal 1 - Manchester City FC 1||EPL|
|Mar 25, 2014||Man Utd. 0 - Manchester City FC 3||EPL|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
The Argentine has not hit the back of the net in the last three games, and will be itching to rip through the stingiest defence in the league.
|Hatem Ben Arfa|
The tricky attacker fell prey to a serious injury in this clash last season, as he broke his leg in multiple places following a strong tackle from Nigel de Jong. The Frenchman may have a thing or two to say to the opposition midfielder during the game.
Manchester City and Newcastle are both undefeated in the league so far, but the home side have a significantly better squad and should be able to take down Alan Pardew's men.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed