thumbnail Hello,

DFB Pokal

  • December 21, 2010
  • • 19:30
  • • Wirsol Rhein-Neckar-Arena, Sinsheim
  • Referee: F. Brych
  • • Attendance: 23500

Hoffenheim 2-0 Borussia Moenchengladbach: Ralf Rangnick's Men Breeze Past Die Fohlen

Hoffenheim 2-0 Borussia Moenchengladbach: Ralf Rangnick's Men Breeze Past Die Fohlen

Hoffe won a hard-fought game tonight...

Hoffenheim are through to the next round of the DFB Pokal after picking up an easy victory over a struggling Borussia Moenchengladbach outfit at the Rhein-Neckar-Arena.

Gylfi Sigurdsson netted his first cup goal for the hosts in the first period and Demba Ba rounded off the scoring with a strike after the break as Die Fohlen continued their horrible recent streak.

The Sinsheim outfit dominated the proceeding in the early minutes of the game, but were struggling to create clear-cut opportunities in front of Christofer Heimeroth.

The first real chance of the game fell to Hoffenheim in the 26th minute when Sebastian Rudy went on a blistering run down the right and put in a delicate cross for Ba in the six-yard box, but the hitman missed the ball by mere centimetres.

Gladbach picked themselves up from the early pressure and started to create chances of their own and near the half-hour Igor De Camargo almost connected with a Juan Arango pass.

Hoffe finally got the goal they deserved in the 35th minute when Sigurdsson whipped in a superb free kick to give the hosts the lead. The goal inserted even more confidence in Ralf Rangnick's men who went close on a couple of occasions in the remaining minutes of the first half through Boris Vukcevic, Sigurdsson and Sejad Salihovic.

The restart saw no changes in the way the game was played as Hoffe were looking for a second, and Gladbach were struggling to dazzle in the final third. Salihovic had the ball in the net in the 52nd minute, but the goal was ruled out due to Ba being in an offside position.

Eleven minutes later Ba put the game to bed. Set-piece specialist Salihovic crossed for the unmarked striker in the box from a corner on the right, and the Senegalese made no mistake with his header from six-yards out.

Borussia Moenchengladbach had not given up just yet, despite Hoffe's pressing game paying great dividends. Rudy was denied a great opportunity to make it three two minutes from time, but was tackled superbly by Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker. This proved to be the final moment of interest as the game finished 2-0.

Follow on . Get the latest football news direct... Check out's  page; be part of the best football fan community in the world!