Serie A Preview: Roma - Lazio
It's the Derby della Capitale and it has a lot at stake, not least the three points that will be vital to both teams as they try to qualify for Europe next season...
By Subhankar Mondal
|Roma: Doni; N. Burdisso, Mexes, Juan, Riise; Pizarro, De Rossi; Taddei, Perrotta, Vucinic; Totti
|Lazio: Muslera, Lichtsteiner, Stendardo, Biava, Radu; Ledesma, Matuzalem; Sculli, Hernanes, Zarate; Floccari||
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Roma occupy the final Europa League slot as they are placed sixth in the Serie A standings with 46 points from 28 matches. Five points divide them from the fourth spot.
- The Giallorossi have won the last four Derby della Capitale, including a Coppa Italia triumph over their neighbours this year.
- Since Vincenzo Montella replaced Claudio Ranieri as coach, Roma have collected seven points from three league matches. The 36-year-old also holds the record of being the only player to score four goals in a single derby – that came in a 5-1 win for Roma in March 2002.
- The Lupi are the only team in Serie A not to have scored from outside the penalty box and have been awarded more penalties than any other side in the league (seven).
- Roma forward Marco Borriello has struck the woodwork six times in 2010-11 – the highest tally in the league.
- Heading into Week 29 Lazio find themselves fourth in Serie A with 51 points from 28 matches. Last season at this stage they had just 26.
- Out of 133 Rome derbies in Serie A, the Biancocelesti have won 33 compared to Roma’s 46.
- Edy Reja’s side have won three of their last four league matches and have conceded just once during this period.
- The Aquile would be ranked sixth in the league standings based on away form.
- Lazio have conceded 16 goals fewer than Roma in Serie A but have scored eight fewer than their arch-rivals.
January 19, 2011: Roma 2-1 Lazio
Roma progressed to the Coppa Italia quarter-finals by defeating Lazio in the Round of 16 at the Stadio Olimpico. Marco Borriello broke the deadlock in the Rome derby just eight minutes into the second half but four minutes later Hernanes scored from the spot to equalise for the Aquile. However, Fabio Simplicio found the target for Roma on 77 minutes to win the match for the Lupi.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Roma 2-0 Lazio
- 15.08 %
Roma 2-1 Lazio
- 13.53 %
Roma 0-2 Lazio
- 11.54 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Sep 22, 2013||Roma 2 - Lazio 0|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||May 26, 2013||Roma 0 - Lazio 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Apr 8, 2013||Roma 1 - Lazio 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Nov 11, 2012||Lazio 3 - Roma 2|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Mar 4, 2012||Roma 1 - Lazio 2|
|Dec 1, 2013||Atalanta 1 - Roma 1||ITA1|
|Nov 25, 2013||Roma 0 - Cagliari 0||ITA1|
|Nov 10, 2013||Roma 1 - Sassuolo 1||ITA1|
|Nov 3, 2013||Torino 1 - Roma 1||ITA1|
|Oct 31, 2013||Roma 1 - Chievo 0||ITA1|
|3||John Arne Riise||Defender|
|16||Daniele De Rossi||Midfielder|
|30||Fabio Henrique Simplicio||Midfielder|
|-||Néstor Muslera Micol||Goalkeeper|
Francesco Totti didn't start against Shakhtar Donetsk in midweek but he will be drafted into the line-up against Lazio in the Rome derby on Sunday afternoon. The veteran Italian legend is the one to count on these big occasions and he will be eager to put one on over his most loathed team. Yet again.
Mauro Zarate has claimed that he wants to score against Roma and celebrate with the Lazio fans. The Argentine attacker is a brilliant and enjoyable talent and he will be eager to turn his words in action. Zarate has been played off-position by his coach Edy Reja at times but against Roma he is likely to be unleashed in a three-man attacking midfield system.
This is an extremely difficult game to call and form will not count. Both teams are desperate for European qualification and both will go all out for a win. Roma, though, do have a better team on paper and with Lazio's inconsistency this year the Lupi could just about nick it especially as they will be buoyant to bounce back from midweek's Champions League thrashing by Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed