Premier League Preview: Chelsea - Manchester City
Citizens looking for a fourth consecutive Premier League victory over Blues...
By Adithya Ananth
|Chelsea: Cech; Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole; Ramires, Essien, Lampard; Malouda, Anelka, Torres.|
|Manchester City: Hart; Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Boateng; Silva, Barry, De Jong, Yaya Toure, Kolarov; Tevez.|
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea lost only twice in their first 24 Premier League meetings against Manchester City.
- The two teams in question have locked horns 131 times in the league, so the upcoming game will be the 132nd league clash between them.
- Of the 65 home games in the league at the west London club, the hosts have won 32, drawn 20 and lost 13 matches against these opponents.
- And during this time, the Blues have scored 111 goals against City, while conceding 71 in the process.
- Carlo Ancelotti’s charges have conceded only 24 goals this season, which is the fewest number of goals shipped in by any side in the top-flight. But City (25) have let in only one more than their opponents.
- In recent times, Manchester City have managed to get the better of their opponents, winning the last three Premier League meetings between the two teams.
- The Eastlands outfit have not been able to put together two consecutive victories in the league this year.
- Roberto Mancini’s men have also had trouble on their travels of late, as they have won only one of their last five matches away from home.
- A defeat at Stamford Bridge would see Mancini’s men slip to fourth place, having played a game more than fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur. Should Spurs beat West Ham United on Saturday and City lose on Sunday, it would see Harry Redknapp’s men come within two points of fourth place with a game in hand.
- City skipper Carlos Tevez has an excellent record against Chelsea, as the Argentine has hit the back of the net on six occasions in his last five appearances against the London-based club.
September 25, 2010: Manchester City 1-0 Chelsea
Back in September, Chelsea were in cruise control as they had begun the season on a stellar note. But their trip to Eastlands proved to be tricky, as they were up against a resolute and well organised defence that stifled the opponents' strike force.
Roberto Mancini's men hit home just shy of the hour mark, when skipper Carlos Tevez ran half the length of the pitch to coolly put the ball past goalkeeper Petr Cech.
That was the only goal scored during the game, but one that handed the Eastlands outfit all three points.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 2-0 Manchester City FC
- 20.23 %
Chelsea FC 3-1 Manchester City FC
- 15.97 %
Chelsea FC 2-1 Manchester City FC
- 14.17 %
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Feb 15, 2014||Manchester City FC 2 - Chelsea FC 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 3, 2014||Manchester City FC 0 - Chelsea FC 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 27, 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - Manchester City FC 1|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||May 25, 2013||Manchester City FC 5 - Chelsea FC 3|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||May 24, 2013||Chelsea FC 3 - Manchester City FC 4|
|Mar 8, 2014||Chelsea FC 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 1, 2014||Fulham 1 - Chelsea FC 3||EPL|
|Feb 26, 2014||Galatasaray 1 - Chelsea FC 1||UCL|
|Feb 22, 2014||Chelsea FC 1 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Feb 15, 2014||Manchester City FC 2 - Chelsea FC 0||FA|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
But on the other side of the fence, Chelsea have a chance to reduce the gap to six points between themselves and league leaders Manchester United. And having beaten United once already, they will likely have a good deal of confidence ahead of their Champions League double-header against the Red Devils. And should they send United out of the continental competition, a potential dent to the confidence of the Old Trafford outfit and a boost for Ancelotti and Co may see the tables turn in their favour on the domestic circuit – where yet another game against a Manchester-based club awaits them.
So looking at the game in prospect, Chelsea appear to have the advantage as they are playing on their own turf.