A high stakes match for very different reasons between 2 sides in great form. Pellegrini's charges seek safety as they visit Atletico who are looking to cement a Europa league spot
Atletico de Madrid (4-4-2): De Gea; Ujfalusi, Godín, Perea, Filipe; Mario Suarez, Tiago, Koke, Reyes; Diego Costa, Aguero
Atletico Madrid had an injury scare when their new found good luck charm Diego Costa was a doubt. However, Quique Sanchez Flores conformed that the striker is fit and will be 100% available.
Caballero; Robson,Demichelis,Apono,Eliseu; Manolo,Sebastian Fernandez, Duda, Recio; Rondon, Baptista
Pellegrini called up all the members of the first team other than the central Javier Malagueño (who recently underwent surgery for a cartilage injury in his right leg that will rule him out for three months), along with canteranos Portillo, Recio and Juanmi. To keep up the show of unity he has even called up Brazilian Weligton, who travels to Madrid, but may not participate in the match through suspension for accumulation of yellows.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Atletico Madrid have lost just one match in their last 10 games and have picked up 19 points out of a possible 30.
- Sergio “Kun” Aguero has been a vital part of this streak as he has scored in seven consecutive games for “the mattress makers” and has taken his tally to 17 goals this season.
- The matches between these two sides are traditionally high scoring games with 27 goals coming in their last 10 encounters.
- “Los Colchoneros” have found the back of the net in their last 12 consecutive games.
- Malaga were once prime candidates for relegation, with the low point of the season coming with a 1-0 loss to fellow relegation strugglers Osasuna after a demoralizing 7-0 loss to Real Madrid.
- However, now Pellegrini’s men are also on streak of sorts with only one defeat in seven games and 16 points out of last 21.
- A huge part of this streak has been due to the return of “The Beast” Julio Baptista who has scored five goals in their last three games.
- Relatively modest Malaga have done fairly well against their more illustrious neighbours having won four encounters out of the last 10 and drawing once.