- America (EN)
- United Kingdom (EN)
- India (EN)
- Ireland (EN)
- Malaysia (EN)
- Singapore (EN)
- Canada (EN)
- Australia (EN)
- Nigeria (EN)
- Ghana (EN)
- Kenya (EN)
- South Africa (EN)
- España (ES)
- Argentina (ES)
La Liga preview: Athletic Bilbao - Real Sociedad
The second leg of the Basque derby takes place as the two sides look to win for different reasons
By Prakhar Deep Gupta
|Bet:||Returns:||Bilbao £15.00||Draw £43.00||Levante £65.00|
|Bet:||Returns:||Bilbao £15.00||Draw £40.00||Levante £65.00|
|Bet:||Returns:||Bilbao £15.00||Draw £40.00||Levante £60.00|
|Bet:||Returns:||Bilbao £15.00||Draw £43.30||Levante £60.00|
|Athletic Bilbao: Iraizoz; Iraola, San Jose, Ekiza, Castillo; Lopez, Martinez, Orbaiz, Gabilondo; Llorente, Toquero
Bravo;Martínez, Estrada, González, Ansotegi; Xabi Prieto, Rivas, Aranburu, Zurutuza, Griezmann; Tamudo
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Athletic Bilbao have scored the highest number of headed goals (17) in La Liga this season thanks to their towering striker Fernando Llorente.
- Los Leones have negotiated all of their "toughest" fixtures and none of their remaining matches is with a club currently in top seven in the table.
- Caparros’ side have lost two straight games at home; their poorest phase of the campaign at home.
- Out of the last nine league goals from Athletic, only one has come in the first half.
- The match is a good bet to come alive in the last 20 minutes as both the sides have scored around 35% of their goals each in this time.
- Real Sociedad finally broke their string of bad results last matchday when they ended a run of four straight defeats.
- The “Txurri Urdin’s” last win at San Mames came in the about a decade ago. During this period they have collected just one point out of possible 18.
- A heartening statistic for their rivals would be that "La Real" have conceded 17 goals in last 15 minutes: a tendency that may complement Athletic's late scoring nature.
- Lasarte's men have won just one game in last two months and they are just 5 points away from the drop zone.
December 5, 2010: Real Sociedad 2-0 Athletic Bilbao
The last time both the sides met, one player decided the outcome of the match: Mikel San Jose; though not quite in the way he would have liked. It was his handball that led to a penalty from which Sociedad midfielder Xabi Prieto had scored.
He also very nearly gave away a penalty before scoring an own goal to extinguish any hopes of a comeback from Bilbao. Overall it was a memorable night for Sociedad and a frustrating one for Athletic who failed to score despite having good chances of their own.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Athletic Bilbao 2-0 Real Sociedad
- 36.15 %
Athletic Bilbao 2-1 Real Sociedad
- 15.66 %
Athletic Bilbao 3-0 Real Sociedad
- 10.84 %
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Feb 22, 2013||Athletic Bilbao 1 - Real Sociedad 3|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Sep 29, 2012||Real Sociedad 2 - Athletic Bilbao 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Mar 4, 2012||Athletic Bilbao 2 - Real Sociedad 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Oct 2, 2011||Real Sociedad 1 - Athletic Bilbao 2|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||Apr 23, 2011||Athletic Bilbao 2 - Real Sociedad 1|
|May 19, 2013||Zaragoza 1 - Athletic Bilbao 2||LIGA|
|May 11, 2013||Athletic Bilbao 2 - Mallorca 1||LIGA|
|May 3, 2013||Celta 1 - Athletic Bilbao 1||LIGA|
|Apr 27, 2013||Athletic Bilbao 2 - FC Barcelona 2||LIGA|
|Apr 21, 2013||Deportivo 1 - Athletic Bilbao 1||LIGA|
|Returns:||Bilbao £16.20||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Draw £43.33||Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Returns:||Real Sociedad £60.00||Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|13||Raúl Fernández Mateos||Goalkeeper|
|6||Mikel San José Domínguez||Defender|
|10||Óscar De Marcos||Midfielder|
|2||Carlos Martínez Díez||Defender|
|11||Mikel Aranburu Eizagirre||Midfielder|
|19||Diego Rivas Gutiérrez||Midfielder|
|3||Mikel González Martínez||Defender|
|4||Gorka Gorka Elustondo Urkiola||Midfielder|