thumbnail Hello,


  • April 23, 2011
  • • 14:30
  • • Commerzbank-Arena, Frankfurt am Main
  • Referee: J. Drees
  • • Attendance: 51500

Eintracht Frankfurt 1-1 Bayern Munich: Bavarians suffer setback in Champions League quest

Eintracht Frankfurt 1-1 Bayern Munich: Bavarians suffer setback in Champions League quest

Andries Jonker's men had to settle for a disappointing result as they now trail Hannover by one point

Bayern Munich's quest for a Champions League place suffered an unfortunate setback as Andries Jonker's side could only achieve a 1-1 draw away at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Despite dominating the game for large parts, the Bavarians fell victims to a second-half strike by Sebastian Rode, but managed to equalise through a penalty by Mario Gomez just before the final whistle, giving a dramatic ending to a thrilling game.

The hosts were the first one to go close to scoring as in the 4th minute, Benjamin Kohler got a fluke opening after crossing from the left. In the following attack, however, Bayern Munich nearly scored, but miscommunication between Miroslav Klose and Franck Ribery ruined a great chance as the Frenchman saw his volley blocked from close range.

The Bavarians were slowly starting to dominate the game and looked the more likely to get on the score-sheet before half-time. Thomas Muller had the crowd on their feet in 19 minutes when he went on a scintillating run on the right, only to see his shot from just outside the box deflected out for a corner-kick.

Eintracht Frankfurt, however, were always waiting to hit Bayern on the counter and nearly did so in the 22nd minute when Halil Altintop blasted a finish over the bar from near the penalty spot under no pressure at all. Philipp Lahm was unlucky not to get the opener in the following attack as his deft flick after a Muller cross was deflected out for a goal-kick by Gomez.

The Bavarians were refusing to loosen the grip as just before the half-hour mark Gomez failed to connect with a fine cross on the right from just outside the six-yard box. There were very few chances in the next ten minutes or so, however, as the tempo started dropping with every moment.

Martin Fenin had a powerful shot from the left wing saved by Hans-Jorg Butt in the 43rd minute for what proved to be the final moment of interest in the first half.

The restart saw Bayern get the best chance of the game as Gomez saw his finish from outside the six-yard box blocked by Ralf Fahrmann. Completely against the run of play, however, the hosts took the lead.

Theofanis Gekas chested down a free-kick onto the path of Rode, and the midfielder volleyed past Butt to give Eintracht Frankfurt the lead in the 54th minute. Bayern tried to answer immediately and had a valid penalty claim ignored ten minutes later.

Marco Russ should have made it two to the hosts soon after, but saw his finish fly over the bar. The Bavarians were leaving too much space for Eintracht to exploit, and nearly got punished for that in the 71st minute when Gekas missed a sitter from five yards out.

The Greek striker was the villain again 11 minutes later as he failed to find the target from close range. In the 85th minute Bayern had another penalty claim turned down as time began to run out for Andries Jonker's men.

Lady luck smiled on the Bavarians, however, as they were awarded a penalty soon after, which Gomez dully converted.

Following today's game, Eintracht are 14th in the standings, while Bayern trail Hannover by one point in fourth place. Christoph Daum's men next league game is a visit to Mainz next Saturday, while the Bavarians host Schalke on the same day.

Follow on . Get the latest football news direct... Check out's : page; be part of the best football fan community in the world!