Bundesliga preview: Schalke - Wolfsburg
Goal.com previews the action as new Wolfsburg coach Felix Magath makes his return to Schalke.
By Clark Whitney
|Schalke: Neuer; Uchida, Hoewedes, Metzelder, Sarpei; Farfan, Papadopoulos, Jurado, Baumjohann; Raul, Edu
|Wolfsburg : Benaglio; Riether, Madlung, Kjaer, Schaefer; Cicero, Josue, Polak; Diego; Grafite, Helmes
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Schalke's Raul has scored six of Schalke's last 11 goals in the Bundesliga. Ten of his 12 goals have been scored at the Veltins Arena.
- Schalke, Wolfsburg and Bremen are the only Bundesliga teams who haven't won a single game in which they trailed this season.
- Die Knappen have conceded 33 goals in 28 Bundesliga appearances; only Dortmund have a better defensive record.
- Wolfsburg coach Felix Magath plied his trade at Schalke until March 16, when he was sacked. He moved to Lower Saxony two days later.
- Die Woelfe have avoided defeat in their last eight games against Schalke (four wins, four draws).
- Grafite has scored eight goals in five games against Schalke - more than any other team in the Bundesliga.
- Only Frankfurt (six) have earned fewer points in 2011 than Wolfsburg (nine).
November 13, 2010: Wolfsburg 2-2 Schalke
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Schalke 04 2-0 VfL Wolfsburg
- 25.91 %
Schalke 04 2-1 VfL Wolfsburg
- 17.62 %
Schalke 04 3-1 VfL Wolfsburg
- 10.88 %
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Aug 17, 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 4 - Schalke 04 0|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Mar 2, 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 1 - Schalke 04 4|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Oct 6, 2012||Schalke 04 3 - VfL Wolfsburg 0|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Feb 19, 2012||Schalke 04 4 - VfL Wolfsburg 0|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Sep 11, 2011||VfL Wolfsburg 2 - Schalke 04 1|
|Dec 15, 2013||Schalke 04 2 - SC Freiburg 0||GER1|
|Dec 11, 2013||Schalke 04 2 - Basel 0||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 - Schalke 04 1||GER1|
|Dec 3, 2013||Schalke 04 1 - Hoffenheim 3||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||Schalke 04 3 - VfB Stuttgart 0||GER1|
|17||Jefferson Agustin Farfán||Striker|
|Jefferson Agustin Farfán|
He said earlier this week that he would rather move earth and rocks in his native Peru than play again under Magath. Suffice to say, Farfan will be fully motivated heading into Saturday's match. The talented winger is a goal-creating catalyst; look for him to be at the centre of most Schalke attacks.
The Brazilian playmaker has been in excellent form as of late, but his strikers have let him down. He was a constant threat last week against Frankfurt and should have had several assists. All attacks will run through Diego; at least going forward, Wolfsburg's fate rests with him.
In this grudge match it's hard to see a winner. Schalke are a vastly improved team under Ralf Rangnick, but Magath's Wolfsburg have played very well lately in spite of their poor results. The hosts are the more likely side to take all three points, but heading into the match, a draw appears to be most appropriate.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed