Ligue 1 Preview: Olympique de Marseille - Paris Saint-Germain
The Derby de France is likely to have a big bearing on the title race, which continues to hot up nicely...
By Robin Bairner
|Olympique de Marseille: Mandanda; Fanni, Diawara, Heinze, Taiwo; Mbia, Gonzalez, Cisse; A. Ayew, Remy, Gignac.|
|Paris Saint-Germain: Apoula; Jallet, Sakho, Armand, Tiene; Makelele, Clement; Giuly, Bodmer, Nene; Hoarau|
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- OM and PSG have clashed 30 times in Ligue 1 at the Stade Velodrome. The home side have won 19, drawn six and lost just five.
- Last season PSG old boy Gabriel Heinze scored the only goal of the game with a 25th-minute header.
- Marseille's tally of 39 goals is the fifth-best total in Ligue 1, while only Rennes (20) have conceded fewer goals than OM (23).
- In Week 27, Loic Remy and Lucho Gonalez scored either side of half-time to record a precious 2-0 win away to Rennes at the Stade de la Route de Lorient. Andre Ayew set up the first goal and younger brother Jordan Ayew set up the second. The Ayew brothers are sons of former Marseille and Ghana great Abedi Pele.
- Goalkeeper Steve Mandanda is the only player to have featured in all 27 games to date while Lucho and Ayew have missed just a single game each.
- PSG head into Week 28 in fifth place, seven points behind leaders Lille, and three points adrift of fourth-placed Marseille.
- PSG have scored 41 goals - the third-highest total in Ligue 1 (Lille 47, Lyon 46). PSG's defence has conceded 28 goals in 27 games, the equal seventh-best in the division.
- Nene scored 50 seconds into PSG's 3-2 defeat at home to Auxerre earlier this season - it remains the fastest goal scored in the division in the current campaign.
- Ludovic Giuly is the club's leading assists giver with six. Hoarau has five while Nene has five.
- While Marseille, with 23 points, are the best away team in France, PSG are fourth with 19 points from 13 games, one less than OM.
November 7, 2010: Paris Saint-Germain 2-1 Olympique de Marseille
PSG won the previous Derby de France encounter by a 2-1 margin over their great rivals, largely thanks to a lightning quick start to the encounter. Mevlut Erding and Guillaume Hoarau both struck inside 20 minutes, and though Lucho Gonzalez quickly pulled on back for OM, it was not enough.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Olympique de Marseille 2-0 Paris Saint-Germain
- 22.03 %
Olympique de Marseille 2-1 Paris Saint-Germain
- 19.49 %
Olympique de Marseille 1-2 Paris Saint-Germain
- 11.86 %
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Mar 2, 2014||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - Olympique de Marseille 0|
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Oct 6, 2013||Olympique de Marseille 1 - Paris Saint-Germain 2|
|France - Coupe de France (FRAC)||Feb 27, 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - Olympique de Marseille 0|
|France - Ligue 1 (FRA1)||Feb 24, 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - Olympique de Marseille 0|
|France - Coupe de la Ligue (FRLC)||Oct 31, 2012||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - Olympique de Marseille 0|
|Olympique de Marseille|
|Apr 11, 2014||Montpellier HSC 2 - Olympique de Marseille 3||FRA1|
|Apr 4, 2014||Olympique de Marseille 3 - AC Ajaccio 1||FRA1|
|Mar 29, 2014||FC Sochaux 1 - Olympique de Marseille 1||FRA1|
|Mar 22, 2014||Olympique de Marseille 0 - Stade Rennais FC 1||FRA1|
|Mar 14, 2014||Stade de Reims 1 - Olympique de Marseille 1||FRA1|
|9||André Pierre Gignac||Striker|
|5||Vitorino Hilton da Silva||Defender|
|30||Apoula Edima Edel||Goalkeeper|
Marseille's star offensive performer against Manchester United in midweek, Loic Remy is approaching his best form. Could be used through the middle, where he proved a handful to the Red Devils' defence on Wednesday. Has been widely perceived to have endured a tough season but is OM's top scorer.
Both teams will be on a low after crashing out of Europe, but les Parisiens are a side on the slide. OM will start as favourites, particularly if Lucho Gonzalez is ready to start after an armed robbery at his house. PSG have been tenacious this term, but they appear to be running out of steam, and this could be a further nail in their title hopes.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed