Inter-Roma Preview: Visitors hold slender advantage
Andrea Stramaccioni's side will be without a host of first-team players as they look to overturn the Giallorossi's 2-1 first-leg lead
By Max Bentley
Ranocchia, Samuel, Juan Jesus
Zanetti, Cambiasso, Kuzmanovic, Jonathan
Castan, Marquinhos, Piris
Torosidis, De Rossi, Bradley, Marquinho
Andrea Stramaccioni's preparations for the Coppa Italia second leg against Roma have taken another blow after Walter Gargano and Yuto Nagatomo picked up injuries in the 2-0 defeat to Cagliari on Sunday.
The Japanese defender has been ruled out for the season after breaking his external left meniscus, while the Uruguayan anchorman will face several weeks on the touchline with a thigh strain. They add their names to a growing injury list which includes Antonio Cassano, Rodrigo Palacio, Diego Milito and Cristian Chivu.
Stramaccioni is already without the suspended Alvaro Pereira and Fredy Guarin as Inter look to overturn a 2-1 first-leg deficit. Veteran striker Tommaso Rocchi will continue to operate as the only fit senior forward.
Giallorossi coach Aurelio Andreazzoli has concerns over trio Erik Lamela, Pablo Osvaldo and Miralem Pjanic after they missed Monday's training session, but all three are expected to shake off knocks to play on Wednesday.
Club officials also revealed that Daniele De Rossi is making significant progress in his comeback from injury, and the 29-year-old could start.
Vasilis Torosidis and Marquinhos are both pushing for a return to the starting XI after being rested for the 2-1 victory at Torino on Sunday.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Roma striker Mattia Destro (pictured, right) is the competition's joint-highest goalscorer, alongside Cagliari's Thiago Ribeiro on three goals. The 22-year-old notched the winner in Roma's 2-1 first leg victory over Inter at the Stadio Olimpico.
- Inter defeated Roma 1-0 in the 2009-10 Coppa Italia final and also eliminated the Giallorossi the following season 2-1 on aggregate in the semi-finals.
- Nine-times winners Roma are bidding for a record 17th Coppa Italia final appearance.
- Aurelio Andreazzoli's side are unbeaten in their last six matches against Inter, winning three and drawing three.
- Club captains Francesco Totti and Javier Zanetti have made 117 Coppa Italia appearances between them. Totti has 17 goals in 48 matches, whilst the Argentine has three goals in 69.
- Nerazzurri coach Stramaccioni was a youth coach at Roma between 2005 and 2011, where he won two national titles.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Internazionale 2-0 Roma
- 18.57 %
FC Internazionale 1-2 Roma
- 14.52 %
FC Internazionale 0-2 Roma
- 8.74 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Mar 1, 2014||Roma 0 - FC Internazionale 0|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Oct 5, 2013||FC Internazionale 0 - Roma 3|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||Apr 17, 2013||FC Internazionale 2 - Roma 3|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||Jan 23, 2013||Roma 2 - FC Internazionale 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Jan 20, 2013||Roma 1 - FC Internazionale 1|
|Mar 9, 2014||FC Internazionale 1 - Torino 0||ITA1|
|Mar 1, 2014||Roma 0 - FC Internazionale 0||ITA1|
|Feb 23, 2014||FC Internazionale 1 - Cagliari 1||ITA1|
|Feb 15, 2014||Fiorentina 1 - FC Internazionale 2||ITA1|
|Feb 9, 2014||FC Internazionale 1 - Sassuolo 0||ITA1|
|16||Daniele De Rossi||Midfielder|
|3||Iván Rodrigo Piris||Defender|
The evergreen Argentine has won this competition on four occasions throughout his career and will need to put in a captain's performance and inspire some of the younger, more inexperienced players if Inter are to stand any chance in overturning Roma's first-leg deficit.
Roma have an Argentine gem of their own in Lamela and the 22-year-old has shown immense quality and maturity that belies his years, to develop into one of the hottest prospects in Europe. He is the club's leading goalscorer this season with 14 goals in 28 games.
Inter are a team for the big occasion and they will look to exploit Roma's defensive vulnerabilities. However, Stramaccioni's injury-ravaged side could struggle to create chances and with the goalscoring potential of Lamela, Totti and Osvaldo, the Giallorossi will be hopeful for a record 17th Coppa Italia final appearance against local rivals Lazio.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed