Kaizer Chiefs 3-0 AmaZulu: AmaKhosi deny Usuthu top eight finish

Kaizer Chiefs scored three unanswered goals to record a comfortable 3-0 win over AmaZulu at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday afternoon
Kaizer Chiefs came into this final league clash with nothing but pride to play for having surrendered their league title to Mamelodi Sundowns, who wrapped it up earlier this week.

AmaZulu needed a point from this encounter to finish inside the top eight teams, following an impressive season that they've had under the stewardship of coach Graig Rosslee.

The home side got off to a flying start with Kingston Nkhatha netting his seventh league goal of the season in as early as the 12th minute following AmaZulu's failure to clear the danger inside their own box although Aubrey Mathibe should have done better to stop Nkhatha's first attempt that came off the woodwork.

Chiefs' penalty appeal midway through the first half was turned down despite George Lebese clearly being clipped inside the AmaZulu box, with the referee well positioned to make the decision.

Reneilwe Letsholonyane had his out-of-the-box shot easily saved by Mathibe in the 28th minute following a quick one-two that saw him slice past two of the AmaZulu defenders, as Chiefs looked to double their lead.

Nonetheless, AmaKhosi were not to be denied in the 41st minute when Tefu Mashamaite headed past Mathibe to make it 2-0 from Siphiwe Tshabalala's in-swinging corner.

Usuthu never troubled Chiefs for the entire 45 minutes, as they had no shot on target in the first half with Bongi Macala coming close to finding the back of the net on the stroke of halftime.

Both teams made several changes at the start of the second half, with Chiefs bringing in Katlego Mphela and Lucky Baloyi for George Lebese and Mandla Masango respectively, while Usuthu introduced Ruzaigh Gamaldien and Bongani Ndulula to try and get a point from the game.

Ndulula forced Khune to make a fantastic stop in the 48th minute following a clever through ball played by Macala behind the Chiefs defence.

However, Usuthu were dealt a major blow as Katlego Mphela extended the AmaKhosi lead 10 minutes into the second half to put the game beyond their opponents' reach.

Khune was again called up to action in the 65th minute, this time showing great reflexes to tip Gamaldien's long range shot over the bar.

Ndulula should have pulled one back with less than five minutes remaining on the clock, as he ballooned his attempt over the top from close range with Khune well beaten.