Bloemfontein Celtic 1-0 Kaizer Chiefs: Celtic successfully defend Macufe Cup

Ntanga’s first half free-kick was enough to hand Bloem Celtic a 1-0 win over Kaizer Chiefs in the Macufe Cup on Sunday afternoon

Kaizer Chiefs set the tone very early in the game when Mandla Masango unleashed his low shot from 18 yards out, but Thembalethu Moses made a comfortable save.

Chiefs were again presented with an opportunity to break the deadlock in the 8th minute, but Matthew Rusike had too many touches inside the Celtic box and allowed Moses to collect easily.

The home side replied with a brilliant goal from Vuyani Ntanga’s well taken free-kick in the 24th minute after Wayde Jooste was brought down by Lucky Baloyi just outside the Chiefs box.

Celtic then torn the Chiefs apart and should have doubled their lead a few minutes later after Lerato Lamola beat the offside trap, but Brilliant Khuzwayo came off his line to make a fantastic stop.

The AmaKhosi reacted with anger, but they were often dealt with easily by the Celtic defence, as the men in green and white held on to their lead.

On 40 minutes Chiefs were caught napping at the back and they were fortunate to escape punishment as Rodrick Mutumba failed to get his head to a cross as it remained 1-0 to Celtic at halftime.

Stuart Baxter introduced fresh legs right at the start of the second half, and the lively AmaKhosi side had their shot on target inside the opening five two minutes from Kingston Nkhatha.

Chiefs had two goalscoring chances in the 50th minute, but Masango was brilliantly denied by Moses before Siyabonga Nkosi’s left footed shot went across the face of Moses’ goal.

Both teams continued to attack each other, but no clear-cut chances were created until after 75 minutes when Celtic won a free-kick outside the Chiefs box.

Vuyani Ntanga tried to curl the resultant free-kick around the Chiefs wall, but Ryan Pieterse, on for Khuzwayo, collected easily as AmaKhosi continued to search for the equalizer.

Celtic keeper Moses made amends for his initial error and pulled off a great save to deny Masango in the 79th minute, as Chiefs pushed harder and harder.

The home side held their nerve and denied Chiefs any chance in front of Moses’ goal as they successfully defended their Macufe Cup.