thumbnail Hello,


  • 28 August 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • ABSA Tuks Stadium, Pretoria (Tshwane)
  • Referee: V. Gomes
  • • Attendance: 3000

Pretoria University 0-1 SuperSport United: Maluleka secures derby win in Tshwane

Pretoria University 0-1 SuperSport United: Maluleka secures derby win in Tshwane


George Maluleka's first half strike was enough for SuperSport United to defeat AmaTuks by a slim margin

SuperSport United edged past Tshwane rivals Pretoria University 1-0 in a PSL derby clash at the Tuks Rugby Stadium on Wednesday night.

Despite Amatuks holding the early advantage, SuperSport took the lead via George Maluleka who beat Washington Arubi at his near post with a composed finish in the 23rd minute.

The home side strived to find an equaliser, carving out quite a few chances, but SuperSport United were able to hold onto their slim advantage at the Tuks Rugby Stadium, securing their second win of the season in the process.

AmaTuks started brightly with a 3rd minute Mpho Maruping header striking the crossbar after the striker was picked out by a pinpoint cross from the left flank.

Maruping was in action minutes later, this time hitting a firm drive towards goal which forced Ronwen Williams to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Despite SuperSport’s increasing dominance in possession, Steve Barker’s side continued to show good home form, with Lucky Mathosi having a strike at goal 12 minutes into the match.

Williams was tested by Tarumbwa in the 21st minute, who tried to beat the goalkeeper with a rising shot from just outside the box, but Williams was up to the task and grasped the effort with ease.

In SuperSport’s first chance of the match, George Maluleka struck for the visitors with 23 minutes on the clock, finishing off a clinical move with a powerful shot at the near post which beat an out of position Washington Arubi.   

 Tuks piled on the pressure after conceding the opener, but Williams held firm with a duo of good saves to keep out the home side.

Steve Barker’s side looked increasingly dangerous as Mpho Matsi hit a spectacular volley in the 30th minute, which brushed the crossbar before going out for a goal-kick.

The first half ended with a disallowed goal as Tarumbwa headed home for AmaTuks, but referee Victor Gomes blew for a foul inside the area meaning the goal would not stand.

AmaTuks continued where they left off in the beginning of the second stanza, striving to find the equaliser in front of their demanding home fans.

Their first shot in anger occurred in the 59th minute when Tarumbwa tried to curl an effort into the top right corner, only for his effort to fly wide.   

SuperSport was forced into making their first change of the match when Kurt Lentjies suffered a knee injury, meaning David Mathebula entered the fray.

AmaTuks’ search for an equaliser continued, as Mosadi almost beat Williams with a swerving strike 77 minutes in, but the keeper was solid under pressure once more.

SuperSport showed their defensive steel in order to hold on for the victory, securing their second successive win of the PSL season.