Kaizer Motaung denies public statement made by the Bafana coach Igesund about him agreeing to release Chiefs players for the Cosafa Cup
Chiefs boss Kaizer Motaung has broken his silence about the ongoing debacle between the club’s football manager Bobby Motaung and the Bafana coach Gordon Igesund.
Motaung Snr has denied Igesund’s claims that he agreed, on May 9, to release the Kaizer Chiefs players for the Cosafa Cup in Zambia early next month.
“It is regrettable that someone in a position of national importance like coach Gordon Igesund would see it fit to make such ill-devised comments about the Joint Liaison Committee of the PSL and Safa at Safa House on 9 May 2013 that I made a commitment to release Kaizer Chiefs players for the Cosafa tournament. This is incorrect as I would never use such a forum to make comments that are Kaizer Chiefs specific,” Motaung said.
Read more on: Bobby and Igesund battle over players
Motaung also expressed his disappointment at the national team coach and maintained that he has always avoided making statements that are Kaizer Chiefs specific during the JLC forums.
“The JLC is a forum where matters of a generic nature are discussed in relation to the PSL, Safa and football in general. I am very conscious of this and as a matter of policy refrain from making any club specific comments in that forum. It is therefore disappointing that Mr Igesund would make a statement that is of this nature,” explained Motaung.
However, Motaung admitted that there was a meeting between Igesund, Bobby Motaung and coach Stuart Baxter about the release of players prior to Bafana’s 2014 World Cup qualifiers against CAR and Ethiopia.
The feedback sent to Motaung Snr was that the parties involved agreed that certain players were over-extended, and therefore deserve to be rested.
Read more on: Bobby hits back at Igesund
“I am aware that Mr Igesund met with Bobby Motaung, the Kaizer Chiefs football manager and Stuart Baxter, the coach to discuss the release of players prior to the Bafana trip to Cameroon and Ethiopia. At that meeting it was agreed that certain players had been continually deployed and were clearly over-extended,” said Motaung.
“It was then advised they be excluded from the Cosafa squad and it was suggested that U23 players be considered to participate in the tournament. This is what was reported to me after their meeting.
“We were clearly surprised that Mr Igesund chose Kaizer Chiefs players after this discussion. His comments are unfortunate and I take strong exception to his utterances. I will be writing to Safa to register my disappointment and trust the matter will be resolved,” concluded Kaizer Motaung.
Follow us on Facebook