Fresh from their 3-2 defeat at the hands of Moroka Swallows in their last league game, Orlando Pirates will be looking to silence the critics with a win against Bloemfontein Celtic on Wednesday night.Pirates have had disappointing results between their Caf champions league matches, and will want to put that behind them against a tough Celtic side. The defending champions will be banking on their impressive home record, where they have lost only once this season.
Celtic will, however, look to continue where they left off the last time these teams met, although they haven’t been that lucky against Pirates in the league games.
Pirates coach Roger De Sa is likely to rest a few of his regulars, including Daine Klate and Thabo Matlaba who are both sitting on three yellow cards, and could be suspended for the Soweto derby, should they get booked on Wednesday.
Celtic coach Clinton Larsen will definitely put his hopes on the Botswana international, Joel Mogorosi who has been in fine form for the Free State-based club. De Sa, on the other hand, will be hoping for Andile Jali and Oupa Manyisa to dominate the midfield battle from the first whistle, as they have been doing in recent seasons.
The Sea Robbers will go into Wednesday's clash second on the PSL table, three points behind their arch-rivals who are on 43 points. Phunya Sele Sele are sixth, on 28 points from 20 games.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Celtic have never beaten Pirates at home since the 2004/2005 season.
- Pirates have lost only once at home this season, and it was against Moroka Swallows.
- In head-to-head stats, Pirates and Celtic have met 17 times since 2004, Bucs winning nine games, compared to Celtic’s four, and four games have been drawn.
- Pirates have scored 25 goals against Celtic since 2004/2005 season, while Celtic have scored only 14 goals.
- Celtic beat Pirates 1-0 in the reverse fixture played on September 30.