thumbnail Hello,


  • 23 February 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
  • Referee: R. Smith
  • • Attendance: 25000

Bidvest Wits 0 Chiefs 3 : Chiefs finally get their Wits revenge

Bidvest Wits 0 Chiefs 3 : Chiefs finally get their Wits revenge

Kaizer Chiefs defenders Siboniso Gaxa, Morgan Gould and midfielder Mandla Masango inspired their team to victory as they knocked out Wits in the Nedbank Cup

The first two goals for Chiefs came from Siphiwe Tshabalala’s assists who at the end could not finish the match due to an injury in the second half.

In the first five minutes, Wits started strong with an attack and Chiefs defence seemed a bit confused in terms of their communication. It was Matthew Pattison who kept on adding pressure on Chiefs.

In the 12th minute Chiefs came back into the game, with Tsepo Masilela and Siphiwe Tshabalala having a great combination. Soon after that, Chiefs got their first opportunity with a cross that came from Tshabalala to Kingston Nkhatha, but he was caught offside.

The experienced former Bafana skipper, Aaron Mokoena, was truly tested by the Chiefs players who came in numbers at the front, with Siboniso Gaxa attacking in the right wing.

In the 28th minute, Nkhatha once again collected a cross from Tshabalala on the left, but failed to direct it to the goal post as he struck it wide.

The students got back into the game and kept on trying to distract the Chiefs midfield, while the defence was lead by Morgan Gould. All that effort was nearly rewarded when Ryan Chapman’s header had already beaten Itumeleng Khune, but hit the crossbar.

Not less than three minutes after that, in the 35th minute, Chiefs responded with a pass that came from Tshabalala to Siboniso Gaxa who beat the goalkeeper after making a good run, to score the opening goal for Chiefs.  

After that goal, both teams continued to play a quick game, but it was Kaizer Chiefs that showed more eagerness to win as they attacked.   

In the second half Kaizer Chiefs continued where they had left off in the first half as they attacked and searched for a second goal. In the 48th Nkatha nearly got his name registered as his ball was blocked by Nkhatha from a set piece that came from Tshabalala.

Immediately after that, Chiefs were awarded a free kick, Tshabalala's cross was headed beautifully by defender Morgan Gould to beat Wits goalkeeper, so Chiefs were now leading 2-0.

The students never gave up as they tried to get their passes together, but they failed to enter the opposition box. In the 65th minute Chiefs continued pressing hard with entertaining football. NKhatha had another opportunity to score when his cross from Lucky Baloyi, inside the box, hit the crossbar.

Chiefs coach decided to give Matthew Rusike a break who had a good run. His place was taken by Bernard Parker. In the 79th minute Mandla Masango, registered his name on the score sheet as he netted a beautiful goal from a shot that was provided by Nkhatha.   

Chiefs advanced to the next round, after having played well and deservedly, dominating the match.