thumbnail Hello,


  • 25 November 2012
  • • 15:30
  • • Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium, Pretoria, GT
  • Referee: K. Qongqo
  • • Attendance: 1000

SuperSport 2 - 2 Arrows: United held to yet another draw by Golden Arrows

SuperSport 2 - 2 Arrows: United held to yet another draw by Golden Arrows

SuperSport scored two goals, but it is now 10 draws in 12 league matches for Matsatsantsa. Arrows should be happier to come away with a point

SuperSport United were held to a 2-2 draw by Lamontville Golden Arrows in their Absa Premiership clash at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Sunday.

Incredibly, it is a tenth draw of the season for Matsatsantsa with the campaign 12 matches old and will be of huge frustration to coach Gavin Hunt.

His side did have to come from behind twice to earn the point though as Sibusiso Hadebe and Norman Smith were on target for the visitors, but they were pegged back by strikes from Franklin Cale and Mor Diouf.    

Arrows had an early chance at Thamsanqa Gabuza found himself with sight of goal, but put his effort wide of the target inside the first four minutes.

Mogogi Gabonamong sliced his effort wide of goal after a free-kick from Jabu Maluleke, before George Maluleka teed-up Mabhuti Khenyeza, but the striker put his effort over the bar.

Maluleke then had a shot of his own that was saved by Pavels Steinbors in the Abafana Bes’thende goal after more good work from Khenyeza to create the opportunity.

But it was the visitors who struck to open the scoring, Sibusiso Hadebe getting his first-ever PSL goal as he headed home on 22 minutes.

It was almost 2-0 just past the half-hour mark as Arrows struck a post, before the home side drew level four minutes later.

Cale tapped home after with the easiest of finishes to score his fourth of the season for Matsatsantsa.

Ashley Hartog put the ball wide of goal after a scramble in the box, before Maluleka’s shot went just over in the first half of injury-time.

Bevan Fransman put his shot over the bar when well placed, while at the other end Ronwen Williams produced a wonderful save to deny Smith.

Steinbors produced a fantastic stop of his own to keep substitute Atusaye Nyondo’s effort out of his goal, and that would prove important as Arrows took the lead with 15 minutes remaining.

The excellent Hadebe provided the assist from the left and Smith showed what a fine finisher he is by providing the goal-scoring touch.

It looked as though that may the winner until SuperSport grabbed a second, Diouf turning home Cale’s cross with four minutes left on the clock and both sides had to settle for the point.

Golden Arrows’ next fixture will be on December 4 at home to Moroka Swallows, while SuperSport entertain Bloemfontein Celtic on the same day.