thumbnail Hello,

No goals in Port Elizabeth, but teams serve up entertaining fare

League leaders Kaizer Chiefs and Bloemfontein Celtic played to an entertaining 0-0 draw at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth on Saturday evening.

There may have been no goals in the Windy City, but the their were opportunities aplenty and both goalkeepers produced outstanding performances to keep their sides in the contest.

The result leaves Chiefs five points clear at the top of the Absa Premiership and maintains their unbeaten start to the League campaign.

George Lebese had the first opportunity of the match when he latched onto Siphiwe Tshabalala’s excellent long ball, but just as he was about to pull the trigger, Celtic defender Limbikani Mzava put in an excellent tackle.

Lerato Manzini has an excellent opportunity at the other end of the pitch as he found himself with space and time, but his shot was straight at AmaKhosi goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune. Either side of the gloveman and that would likely have been 1-0 to Celtic.

Bernard Parker fired a speculative free-kick wide just before the break, before laying on a perfect pass to allow Lehlohonolo Majoro to race on goal, but Celtic keeper Patrick Tignyemb made a fine stop as the angle tightened.

Lennox Bacela and Manzini combined well on the edge of the area just minutes after halftime, but the former’s effort on goal was weak and Khune was able to save.

Erick Mathoho just failed to connect with Tshabalala’s corner, before Dominic Isaacs produced a magnificent piece of last-ditch defending to deny Majoro a clear run on goal.

Tshabalala produced a fine run on the right-hand side, but instead of trying to pick out a teammate, he went for goal and it was easy for Tignyemb.

Chiefs were inches away from take the lead when Lebese’s low cross was touched on by Parker, but the ball hit the post and rebounded back into play for Celtic to clear.

Minutes later and Tignyemb produced an excellent save to deny Majoro, bravely coming off his line to produce the block.

Khune produced a good stop to deny Mduduzi Nyanda, while Bacela’s effort was blocked just as it seemed to be arrowing into the far corner.

Tignyemb was again superb to deny Reneilwe Letsholonyane from the edge of the box, but neither side were able to find a breakthrough late on.  

Both of these sides will now wait until Monday night’s Telkom Knockout first round draw to see who their next fixtures will be against after the international break, but Chiefs’ next League assignment is away at Maritzburg United on October 26 and Celtic host University of Pretoria two days later.