Zimbabwe coach says he still wants to use South African-based star despite no-showZimbabwe coach Rahman Gumbo says he will be investigating further the failure of Tinashe Nengomasha to pitch for the African Nations Cup qualifier at the weekend but will not seek any action against the midfielder.
Nengomasha did not play for his country in the final qualifying round, first leg win over Angola in Harare on Sunday because he was not released by his club.
Bidvest Wits said they had not received the call-up from the Zimbabwe Football Association the stipulated 14 days before the match and were therefore within their rights to prevent him from playing.
German club FC Augsburg also said last week they had not received the requisite paperwork from ZIFA in time for the release for striker Knowledge Musona.
Musona, formerly of Kaizer Chiefs, also did not play but claimed, at the same time, to be suffering from an adductor muscle injury.
The administrative oversight has not been acknowledged by Zimbabwean officials but Gumbo did say he would be discussing the issue with organisation’s chief executive officer Jonathan Mashingaidze.
“I would not want to comment on what happened to the players’ call-ups as I’m still in the dark,” Gumbo told Zimbabwe’s NewsDay newspaper.
“However I want to state that I have no problems with both Knowledge and Tinashe. They are definitely still in my plans for the rest of the campaign.”
ZIFA chairman Cuthbert Dube said he would be holding an inquiry into the issue of the call-ups.