Coach Sebastien Desabre of the Cameroon champions, says his side has overcome physical and mental stress and is set to take on the Angolan representatives, hopeful of victory
Cameroon champions Coton Sport were the only team to suffer Fifa’s temporary suspension imposed on the central African nation weeks ago for government interference in Football Federation affairs.
The club was unable to begin their campaign of the 2013 Caf Champions League group phase during the first match day due to that decision. However, amid uncertainties they hastily began preparations for their second game when the ban was lifted, losing 2-0 to Tunisia’s Esperance, which team coach Sebastien Desabre had attributed to physical and mental stress.
After clinching their first win last weekend against Cote D’Ivoire’s Sewe Sport, he says his team has fully recovered and set for their next challenge against Recreativo Libobo in Angola on Sunday.
“In the past matches, we’ve toiled both physically and mentally,” Desabre said at a press conference in Cameroon. “We have so far harmonized all physical, technical and tactical phases of Sunday’s game and are now concentrating our efforts in accompanying the players to be psychologically fit for the next game.”
The Cottoners have not been prolific so far in the campaign, scoring just one goal in two games, but the French coach says his side has always created goal chances.
“The offensive nature of a club is seen at the number of goal opportunities created. The efficiency now depends on how to convert these opportunities. I’ve talked to the players that each game has been won under hard struggle.”
Coton Sport have recorded two red cards so far, one in their first game and the other in their second. And thus, main striker Jacques Haman will be missing in action against Recreativo, but the coach says he has 29 more players to count on.