Malaga has stated its confidence that its ban from next season’s Europa League will be overturned after having its case against UEFA’s ruling heard at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Tuesday.
The Spanish Primera Division club had its second ‘suspended’ one-year ban overturned by European football’s governing body last month, but still faces the prospect of being barred from European competition in 2013-14. Malaga was one of eight clubs that had been sanctioned by UEFA’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) in December due to the presence of significant overdue payables. The clubs had to settle payments by March 31 in order to avoid the application of the suspended sanctions set out by the CFCB – a demand that Malaga met.
However, the initial ban remained in place and the Qatari-owned club in January confirmed it had lodged an appeal to the CAS against UEFA’s decision to impose the minimum one-season ban from European competition for infringing financial fair play (FFP) guidelines. Malaga finished sixth in the Primera Division this season, earning qualification to the Europa League. In a statement on Tuesday, Malaga said CAS is expected to rule on the case within the next fortnight.
Malaga general manager, Vicente Casado, told the club’s official website: “It was a very difficult process, but we’re pleased with how it went. I believe we put our case across well.”