The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has stated reports that the domestic Premier League will resume play on December 15 are premature.
The Egyptian top flight was suspended following February’s Port Said stadium disaster, which resulted in the deaths of over 70 Al-Masry and Al-Ahly fans after rioting at the end of a Premier League game between the two clubs.
Reports had stated that the League may resume at the third time of asking on December 15. However, EFA board member Ehab Leheta told the BBC that it has yet to decide upon a date and is unable to do so without the approval of the interior ministry. Leheta said that the opening week of the Second Division had passed without incident, albeit with games being played behind closed doors. He added that this was an encouraging sign for the return of Premier League football.
Egyptian authorities had previously attempted to re-start the League in September and October only for security concerns to cause a change in plan.