The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has announced that the final round of the premier league season would be delayed due to ongoing security concerns in the wake of the ouster of former Egypt president Mohamed Morsi.
Fixtures for the 17th match day had been scheduled to be held on Tuesday July 9 by the EFA's Competitions Committee, but the body said they could not obtain formal confirmation from the interior ministry which had refused to secure the games.
“We are surprised by the move; we have no choice but to postpone the round,” Mazen Marzouq, head of EFA's competitions committee, said in a televised statement.
Marzouq also said the postponement was motivated by threats from hardcore fans of Cairo’s Al Ahly and Zamalek football clubs to attend matches scheduled for this week despite an official crowd ban.
Last week, a group of Zamalek supporters warned Egyptian authorities that they would take action if the crowd ban was not lifted within 48 hours.