thumbnail Hello,

The Chelsea forward says he was in high spirits to join the Teranga Lions for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers but was disappointed not to be called up

Senegal international Demba Ba has reacted to his exclusion from the 2014 World Cup qualifying squad to face Angola and Liberia next month in Group J, expressing his disappointment but wishing the West African side all the best in the campaign.

Senegal coach Alain Giresse did not give reasons for dropping the 28-year-old French-born Chelsea striker, however, local pundits believe Ba is paying for his poor showing against Angola in March, when he fluffed a penalty that forced the home side to share the spoils with the Palancas Negras in a 1-1 draw.

“I wish the team the best in the World Cup qualifiers to be held in June. I would have loved to be in the group, but I don’t know why,” Ba said in a statement released in Dakar on Tuesday.

With five points from three games, Senegal are leaders of the group, which the French coach says he wants to consolidate by winning the two forthcoming encounters.

“I picked the players I feel can do the job ahead, but that does not mean other players are not good,” he had said while unveiling the 23-man squad to the media last week. However, Ba’s exclusion suggests problems within the camp.

“I hope one day I’d be able to say the truth to the people of Senegal, because they need to know what is happening. However, I’d say I trust the group and I know the team will be able to win the forthcoming games.”

Related

From the web