thumbnail Hello,

Libyan authorities have expressed remorse after local supporters stormed the Algerian embassy in Tripoli and desecrated a flag in the wake of the Knights’ loss to the Fennec

Libya has formally apologised to Algeria following the unrest caused by its fans at the Algerian embassy in Tripoli after the Mediterranean Knights were defeated and eliminated from the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying campaign on Sunday.

A group of unruly supporters gathered at the diplomatic premises immediately after Libya’s 2-0 loss to create disturbances, with some forcing their way to pull down Algerian flag and setting it ablaze.

“High profile government personalities have paid a visit to the Algerian embassy in Tripoli to offer official apologies on behalf of Libya for the actions of the disobedient local fans,” Algeria foreign affairs minister Mourad Medelci told Xinhua on Wednesday.

He said stricter security measures would be put in place henceforth to avoid future incidents of such nature.

After losing the first leg 1-0 in Casablanca last month, Libya were not favoured to win the return leg against hosts Algeria in Blida, 50 km south of Algiers.

Their elimination from the campaign sparked an absurd anger against Algerians living in Tripoli, however, officials at the embassy said it was an isolated action and did not reflect the general behaviour of Libyan football fans.

 

Related

From the web